Gears not meshing-Spectrum Heavy 4-8-2. Tips?

Started by Flashwave, March 07, 2010, 11:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flashwave

Just to get the before out of the way, I'd like to try to fix this myself, I think it's something I did and can undo, but I'm new to steam repair and would like some tips. Also, I've done enough damage to the engine trying to send in the drive and save the shell (C&O George Washington)

A bit less than Two years ago, it's taken me that logn to get on this puppy) I discovered the GWs were wired backswards for DCC=a nice rendition of a cylinder blowdown, coming from the tender. Sent in drive after >4 monthsof busy, and between the time the GW was in DC and my laziness, Bachmann was fresh out of GW locos, or C&O Mountains in general. Instead, I got a lovely DCC/Sound N&W version (kudos Bachmann, for the bonus) that I was told I could keep the leftovers. Had to move the headlight down for the Dirty face C&O mount, (in the process lost the headlight, now drilling out the N&W headlight to accept the bulb) and to do that, I had to split the weight to flex the wires into the old C&O slot. Put the weight back together, swapped piston cases (lost one of the side drive-rod arms, the smaller one, gonna find a junker steamer to patch with...) and reassembled engine. Worm gear not connecting with drivers at all. Resettle shell and weight, get them to meet, but eith some minor clicking, mostly in reverse. Two weeks later from that, I had the shell loose, as the rear screw that holds the shell and the drawbar stripped, and now the engine clicks and skips/skids from momentum every few inches. I'm not sure what's loose, the weight and drivers were never loosened, and the wheels are tight, I can't free-spin them. I'm open for suggestions on where or how to troubleshoot.

Atlantic Central

Flashwave,

No offense, but it sounds like you're in over your head with this whole thing.

Send me all the parts and $100 and I will build you a perfect running GW.

Did it ever occure to you to just buy another C&O Mountian, put the GW parts on it, put the remaining parts on the bad loco and send it to Bachmann?

No matter what they sent you back, you would have had your GW and could have sold the other one on Ebay when it cam back.

Sheldon

Flashwave

Quote from: Atlantic Central on March 08, 2010, 10:06:46 PM
Flashwave,

No offense, but it sounds like you're in over your head with this whole thing.

Send me all the parts and $100 and I will build you a perfect running GW.

Did it ever occure to you to just buy another C&O Mountian, put the GW parts on it, put the remaining parts on the bad loco and send it to Bachmann?

No matter what they sent you back, you would have had your GW and could have sold the other one on Ebay when it cam back.

Sheldon

I am quite possibly a tad far out from shore, but then, it's all semi-basic stuff, that would be nice to know. I don't see myslef scratchbuilding a steam loco, but repairing, yes.  The issues themselves aren't all that complicated, it's been a fun leanring experience. And, I'd like to keep learning, as long as it is fun. I quite enjoyed trying and playing with the Worm, and learning somewhat how all the wiring runs and goes. Most of the GW parts are either paint/applied graphics, such as the piston cases, or small detail parts that I'm afraid would break off, I much rather just switch shells. And we're out of C&O variants, or I wouldn't have had to break into it as much as I did.