News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Nickel Silver/ Black steel track

Started by DJ Quimby, March 11, 2010, 05:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Quimby

My kids received Bachman kits with Steel Alloy E-Z Track. Can I incorporate Nickel Silver E-Z Track and turnouts or do we have to stick with black steel?

Thanx in advance.  ;D

Michigan Railfan

You can mix the two kinds of track, and everything will be fine. ;) Although the colors will look kind of wierd next to each other. :)

ryeguyisme

you should prefer the grey roadbed Nickel Silver track however because it stay clean longer and doesn't dirty as fast

Joe Satnik

and there is a much broader selection of track pieces in gray-N/S.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

yeah its a little more expensive but better quality...stay with the nickel silver if at all possible
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Jhanecker2

after you ballast the tracks you'll never notice the difference.    John II

ebtnut

Although probably not a problem in the short term, it is very hard to solder steel rail if you want to put in extra wire drops.  I would go as much as possible with the nickel silver and just paint the sides of the rail a flat, dark brown. 

full maxx

as far as wire drops , I have used the atlas joiners with the wire attached and found it is almost impossible to remove the rail joiners from the ez track w/o messing them up then it is hard to get the atlas ones on the track
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

OldTimer

The railjoiners are hard to get off and put on because they need to be TIGHT.  They are responsible, after all, for electrical continuity.  You can use a small screw driver to help loosen a rail joiner and a pair of needle nose pliers to put on the new one. 
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

lescar

I've also been replacing the rail joints with the Atlas wired and have found out that if you take a small pair of needle nose pliers and put one side on the end of the rail and the other on the end of the joint and gently squeeze the joint will slide off with out damage to the track or the joint.  Be careful not to twist the pliers to much or it may break the track loose from the roadbed, which happened on my first attempt.  :-[

Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated