News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help me out with the 2-8-8-2

Started by HOTrainFan, March 12, 2010, 09:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTrainFan

I was wondering about a steam engine the 2-8-8-2 Y6B and I dont know which one is better. Broadway limited or Proto 2000

Help me out guys!

pdlethbridge

Broadway limited. My brother has one and it runs like a top. Smooth as silk even at the slowest speed, sound is awesome and the detail beyond compare.

Chris350

You could have a quick read of the BLI forum to see what the BLI faithful have to say about them as well.

Atlantic Central

First off, the Proto2000 model is not a Y6b, it is a Y3 or, if not lettered N&W simply a USRA 2-8-8-2.

Both models are of excelent quality and run very nice. New versions of the Proto model have traction tires so they pull better than older Proto versions.

Depending on what you want a model of, they are both good locos.

Sheldon

Nigel

Quote from: Atlantic Central on March 12, 2010, 05:16:09 PM
First off, the Proto2000 model is not a Y6b, it is a Y3 or, if not lettered N&W simply a USRA 2-8-8-2.

Sheldon, not entirely correct; P2K offered models of the N&W Y3/Y3a locomotives that went to AT&SF, PRR and UP during WWII, and the VGN (ex AT&SF).  There are distinct differences between these, and the run of the mill USRA 2-8-8-2.

To the original poster; if you want a Y6b; BLI is the only current model; there are a large number of the Rivarossi Y6b models floating around, but unless you have pretty good modeling skills, I would suggest that you avoid.  The P2K offers (-ed) models of the N&W Y3/Y3a and USRA 2-8-8-2.  As a N&W modeler, if both BLI and P2K models, as they represent different locomotives.  I also have a couple Oriental Powerhouse Y3/Y3a models - they run better and pull more than the P2K, but are severely lacking in details compared to either the P2K or BLI models.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Atlantic Central

Nigel, I know and understand, thanks for providing the OP with the details that I was admittedly to lazy to go into.

Not sure I understand the "run better" comment about the powerhouse vs the P2K? While the P2K may lack in the pulling power department, the slow speed and other running qualities are amoung the best of any HO steam loco model ever.

And, the newer traction tire versions or some BullFrogSnot solves the pulling power thing just fine for most people.

Seems a lot of uninformed people of late think the P2K model is a Y6b - it is a puzzlement?

Sheldon