Bachmann Flying Scot 4-6-0 & tender adding DCC

Started by limey2009, March 03, 2011, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey2009

I have recently picked up a Bachmann "Flying Scot" engine (UK model I think) that I want to add DCC to.It runs well under DC so I think the upgrade is worthwhile. I can not see where the pickup are coming from so I can add the decoder. Also there appears to be very little space so it might be necessary to put the chip in the tender. I have converted a few Hornby engines but this engine system is different.
Any suggestions in the wiring in of the decoder ??

Thanks for any input

tac

Sir - you must mean 'Royal Scot'.  Bachmann UK did not make a 'Flying Scotsman'.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

bobwrgt

Check the frame under the boiler. I think you may have a split frame design. The current is picked up from the wheel axles to the frame. There are no wires. The motor won't be isolated for a decoder either. It would be very hard to install a decoder.

Bob

richg

I did a search for Bachmann Royal Scott and did find some info about some of the UK locos that Bachmann makes. Not familiar with UK  standard locos but most probably the same pickup and split chassis as the USA standard locos. The pickups re usually a weak point and the motor contacts have to be disconnected from the frame halves. I have done this with the Bachmann  six wheel Plymouth and it was quite a lot of work and the pickups are a very weak point. I will need better track wipers.
Probably not worth the effort but your mileage may vary.

Rich

Hamish K

Quote from: tac on March 03, 2011, 03:59:54 PM
Sir - you must mean 'Royal Scot'.  Bachmann UK did not make a 'Flying Scotsman'.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Actually Bachmann did release, in the USA in the  late 1980s, a set called the "Flying Scot". It had a Royal Scot class locomotive. Despite their age they seem to turn up on EBay and in second hand shops quite often.

Hamish