News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP-40 Help.

Started by lescar, March 19, 2010, 03:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lescar

I'm trying to get the shell off the Locomotive that came with the DCC U.P. set (503) and have been unsuccessful in my attempts, could use some instructions on how to remove it without damage, the diagram shows what looks like two tab in the middle on each side, so I have tried to pry the sides out but I'm worried about damaging the shell. Here is the diagram I'm looking at:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H635X_IS005.pdf

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks  :)
Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

jward

i don't have my gp40s handy, but i seem to recall screws from the chassis into the body in the vicinity of the trucks. turn the locomotive over and swivel the trucks and you should see them. remove these screws and the body should slide off.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Daylight4449

they are under the fuel tank piece which can be pulled off, then unscrew the couplers to release their nub holding on the shell. this should make it loosen up

mf5117

gently remove the fuel tank , you can use a small flat blade screw driver to pry it off .then you will see 2 diagonal screws remove them and gently remove the shell . it will come off and up in an angeled forward motion .

lescar

Thanks, Will give it a try today and let you all know how it turns out.

Les

lescar

jward:

Thanks for your attempt, understand you didn't have one in front of you and the IPB's (illustrated parts breakdown) has a lot to be desired, (there not what I'm use too)  they don't even show the screws that hold the shell on under the fuel tank or for that matter the fuel tank evens comes off.  :-\

Daylight and mf:

Your instructions where right on, thank you.  8)

Good thing I did open it up, I found a screw on one side of the back truck assembly not even screwed in, I thought it was binding a little and that was probably the reason.  It's been a good learning experience and I also found out what I wanted to know,  the decoder board is hard wired, so I'm not sure why they sent the instructions in the set for one with a plug, maybe it was for the CV's list.

Thanks everyone.  :)
Les

jward

yeah,
i think i got it mixed up with the split frame locomotives like the gp35 and gp30. they have screws holding the body to the chassis that you have to turn the trucks to access.

there are too many different types of locomotives, and many different ways of securing the body to the chassis.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA