News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new (blue box) 4-4-0 out of quarter

Started by mecrr, March 25, 2010, 06:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mecrr

I recently bought a new (blue box) 4-4-0 DCC with sound. The first one I got had significant problems with the drivers being out of round, went down the track like a train with a short peg let. The dealer replaced the loco and now the train goes down the track like it has a slight limp.
I have a NWSL quarterer and would like to try and use it, but do not see how I remove the rods from the drivers. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to approach this or is this not a job to be tried at home?
Thanx
David Stickney
modeling the Maine Central in Northern California
Modeling the Maine Central in Northern California

OldTimer

This is just the personal opinion of a crotchety old man, but when I pay my money for something, I at least expect it to work out of the box.  Take it back.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: OldTimer on March 26, 2010, 08:34:22 AM
This is just the personal opinion of a crotchety old man, but when I pay my money for something, I at least expect it to work out of the box.  Take it back.

I agree with you 100%, OldTimer.  I recently bought an Athearn AC4400 for 100 dollars, and is the noisiest engine ever. The shop where I bought it from isn't very local, so I haven't gotten around to taking it back. The noise is so loud and annoying, I don't even run it anymore.

mecrr,
I agree with Oldtimer.  Just take the engine back and get something worth the money. ;)

mecrr

At this point, returning is not possible (long story). So, is there anyone who can help with quartering? If not, should I return to Bachmann for repair?
David

ABC

If you return it for repair there is a good chance that you may just get another loco if they can't fix it. So, if it is custom painted or decaled then you'll have to try to fix it yourself as best you can.

pdlethbridge

Of course, if you're an MEC fan like me, you'll appreciate that they have spectrum 4-4-0's in MEC decals. So that might not be a problem. I would send it back and that hobby shop wouldn't get my business if I was near there.

Pacific Northern

The LHS in my area does not allow returns of the RTR locomotives that they sell.  You are expected to deal with the manufacturer.

Pacific Northern

OldTimer

Hard to tell without looking, but I've had a LOT of steam engines over the years and I've NEVER had one that had out-of-quarter drivers.  I'll bet you're going to find that the wheels are not square on the axles.  In any event, if you want to fix it (I'd still send it back to Bachmann), you will need a wheel puller in addition to your quartering tool .  I don't know about your engine specifically, but rods are usually screwed to the wheels with hex-headed machine screws.  the eccentric is usually pinned with a small slotted head machine screw.  The valve gear is normally rivited together and is removed in one piece with the eccentric crank.  Good luck.
Just workin' on the railroad.

mecrr

Thanx Old Timer, I will begin exploring return to Bachmann
David

ABC

Warranty Information
Bachmann's Lifetime Limited Warranty covers motorized units only. Under the warranty, Bachmann can decide whether to repair or replace an item at their discretion.
Items less than a year old are fully covered and will be serviced or replaced at no charge when accompanied with warranty card or proof of purchase.
Orders, repair inquiries, or general inquiries may also be sent to:
Bachmann Customer Service
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124
Fax: 215-744-4699
Customer Service for all scales can be reached toll free by US and Canadian customers at 800-356-3910.
    * Parts: Ext. 328 or 329
    * Technical Support: Ext.337
    * Repair Status: Ext. 331
    * Customer Service Manager: Ext.304

mecrr

I can do this, thanx
David
Quote from: ABC on March 26, 2010, 10:06:04 PM
Warranty Information
Bachmann's Lifetime Limited Warranty covers motorized units only. Under the warranty, Bachmann can decide whether to repair or replace an item at their discretion.
Items less than a year old are fully covered and will be serviced or replaced at no charge when accompanied with warranty card or proof of purchase.
Orders, repair inquiries, or general inquiries may also be sent to:
Bachmann Customer Service
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124
Fax: 215-744-4699
Customer Service for all scales can be reached toll free by US and Canadian customers at 800-356-3910.
    * Parts: Ext. 328 or 329
    * Technical Support: Ext.337
    * Repair Status: Ext. 331
    * Customer Service Manager: Ext.304