converting cars from old couplings to new EZ MATE couplings

Started by janie2112, April 04, 2010, 04:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janie2112

Can I change my older bachman cars with the hook couplings to the new EZ MATE couplings? ???

jward

the short answer is that yes, these cars can be converted to knuckle type couplers, of which ez mate is one of many brands.

however, the conversion may be difficult for a beginner, and involve cutting the coupler pockets off the trucks, and mounting new coupler pockets on the underside of the car floor. the biggest issue you will run into on any conversion such as this is that the coupler height is critical on knuckle couplers. this is not a drop in replacement by any means. even if you elect to use the truck mounting for your new couplers, you'll have to make adjustments to their height in order for them to work properly.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jhanecker2

Jainie2112:  Please see posting "coupler replacement problems"  a couple of pages back on HO for more info on your problem . John II

Doneldon

Janie-  As long as you're going to replace your couplers, I suggest going all the way to the established best from Kadee.  Yes, they are a little more expensive but you will enjoy their quality long after you've forgotten the price difference.

jerryl

I second the motion. Go with the Kadees while you are at it. It won't take any longer & they have overset & underset couplers that make height adjustment easier & they will last longer.     Jerry