News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Pacigic 4-6-2 DCC locomotive

Started by RBell, April 05, 2010, 06:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBell

I am having problems keeping this particular engine on the tracks. It is the only model I have that constantly derails. Any ideas that could solve this problem, would be appreciated,

jbsmith

The 1st thing i would check is the rails, where each section meets the next.
The rail connectors are usually the culprit.
Sometimes the rail will go up and over the connector when putting track together creating a bump.
Run your finger over it both ways, it should be smooth both ways. If you feel a bump,,the track is uneven and needs to be fixed.
It is an easy fix provided that you have Not glued or nailed down the track.

ABC

What radius track are you using? If you are using 18 inch radius or smaller try using 22 inch radius, if you are already using 22 inch radius see if 24 inch radius does the trick.

hawaiiho

Quote from: ABC on April 05, 2010, 10:03:19 PM
What radius track are you using? If you are using 18 inch radius or smaller try using 22 inch radius, if you are already using 22 inch radius see if 24 inch radius does the trick.

I second this.  I have a Pennsy 4-6-2. I have no trouble on my 26" and 22" radius loops but encounter problems with the 18" loop.

jonathan

RBell,

I don't have that particular locomotive.  However, I have had derailing issues with every locomotive that has 4-wheel pony trucks.  I solved it by adding a little weight to the truck (glued a little lead onto the truck frame).  If there is a spring that pushes the pony truck onto the tracks, it may be providing a little too much pressure, thereby lifting the drive wheels off the track, always on a curve.  I have clipped a loop or two off the spring to relieve just a little pressure.  That can help as well.

Best I can do without seeing the loco.

Regards,

Jonathan

p.s.  There is always the possibility that the trip pin, on the front coupler, is catching the rail on a curve.  I have had that issue on various engines.  The kadee coupler guage is an invaluable tool in this area.  These are just a couple of things you can check, along with the trackwork.  I'm a believer in smaller radii (out of necessity), but engines must be adjusted just right in order to run well on tight curves. jv

RBell

Thanks for all the imput. I am using 22 degree curves and have tried most of the solutions everyone has offered. This is the only engine I am having this problem with. I will try adding weight and shortening the spring. Any other suggestions would greatly appreciated.

ABC

Quote from: RBell on April 06, 2010, 06:24:12 PM
Thanks for all the imput. I am using 22 degree curves and have tried most of the solutions everyone has offered. This is the only engine I am having this problem with. I will try adding weight and shortening the spring. Any other suggestions would greatly appreciated.
Try 24 inch (not degree) curves, this should fix your problem unless it is derailing over a turnout, in which case use #6 turnouts or larger. Do you have turnouts and if so what type? (ie 18" radius, #4, #5, etc...)