News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gordon-Dying Problem

Started by kman781, April 06, 2010, 06:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kman781

Hello All,

So my question is has anyone else had problems with their Bachmann Gordon short-circuiting, smoking then refusing to move indefinitely? Because this has happened to me twice with different units.

The first time it happened with the first Gordon I owned, minus the "refusing to move" part- No problem there, I simply contactedthe service department and they arranged for a replacement. The replacement worked just fine out the box. Then I converted it and all my Thomas engines to DCC. This was about 3 years ago...

Now a few days back, Gordon decided to move very sluggishly then started smoking, then after a few seconds he ran like his old self again. The next day I turn the power on, he refused to move. I had to use Henry, James, Percy and Toby to tow him to the scrap yards where he sits now (on his side).

My question to you Mr. Bach-Man and others, does this happen to ALL the Gordon models? Since I converted my last one to DCC, I most likely voided any and all warranty services and now have to blow money on a new Gordon once again- But I'd rather not if this is just going to happen again. Any help and suggestions? Thanks.

ThomasFan247

Well, I don't know how much I can help with Gordon smoking (my guess is the DCC decoder. (I've had my Gordon since the first year he was released and it runs great) But I think I can help you with the warranty thing.

Two years or so back I bought a Bachmann Thomas installed with DCC and Lights from TrainBuddy.com. In the first week it stopped running. I sent it back to Train Buddy. They fixed it, but the pinstripes and numbers were gone :P I then decided to send it to Bachmann. They looked at it, and said it was one of the most dangerous locos they'd ever seen! (I reccomend NOT buying from there) They sent me a brand new Thomas, SO I'm guessing if you send it in they'll send you a new Gordon, just call first and explain. That's what my mom did. (yes, my mom. I'm 13 :P) I hope this helps...a little atleast :-\
-Christian

shining time

i didnt have this with gordon but with my percy. similar prob but didnt smoke he only heated up and ran slow
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

kman781

Yeah, I shouldve noted that when I installed the decoder in Gordon I used a soldering iron to burn holes into his backhead and tender since the decoder was too huge. That Train Buddy Thomas was atleast modified within thomas' body lol...sigh what to do... I will give service a call and explain my predicaments as 1 option..

PerfectPercy

I honestly agree with Bachmann. Converting these engines to DCC seems to be quite risky. I wouldn't suggest it in the first place. These engines were originally made for child enjoyment. They are probably a safety, electrical, and fire hazard. Good luck though.  ;D