Menomonie, Wisconsin Train Show Sat. 4/10, Sun. 4/11/2010

Started by Joe Satnik, April 01, 2010, 12:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

9th Annual Happy Grandparents Train Show in Menomonie, (West Central) WI. 

Saturday, 4/10/2010 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sunday, 4/11/2010 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

http://www.trains.com/trc/community/events/event-info.asp?eventid=14449

Tons of operating layouts, Z thru G.  Good size show. 

I'll be there Saturday wearing a black baseball hat with the number 2719 on it.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

WGL

Thanks, Joe!  I expected it to be a week or two later.  I haven't received a notice by mail, even though I registered & spent plenty last year!  I may see you on Saturday, but Sunday last year had the most vendors, so I'll be sure to go then.
Bill Laine

BIG BEAR

Hi Joe,

I am making arrangements for this trip now. My wife & I will be having a weekend get away, as today is our 31st wedding anniversary. She will even come in look around for an hour, and than go sit in the truck and read 'til I'm done. She is so understanding that I feel guilty for staying more than a couple hours.
   I hope to see you again Joe, and maybe meet you Bill. I'll follow up with our itinarary as things get finalized.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

WGL

I'm glad that you can come again, Barry.  I'll be wearing a Minnesota Twins baseball cap with Great Northern & DM&IR pins.
                                                                         Bill

Joe Satnik

Dear Bill and Barry, 

Thanks for your replies. 

I look forward to seeing you both.

Any layout photos to bring with?

Have a safe trip, Barry. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

WGL

I didn't see anybody I know, except Bill Kane, who bought my 027 train sets last year.  Sorry I missed you, Joe & Barry.  I was at the show on Sunday from noon to 2:15.  I enjoyed it as much as last year.  I bought a Greyhound bus circa '50s, a UPS Truck, a Baker's tank car (so I'll have enough chocolate) & another GN boxcar.  Here's a link to my photos of the show in Photobucket:  http://pbckt.com/sA.tss
Bill  :D

Joe Satnik

Dear Bill,

Thanks for the pics.

Sorry I missed you. 

I wanted to take in the second day (Sunday) as it was a big show with lots to see, but I had a trampoline to set up for the kids.   

Met Barry again and enjoyed his company.  He was homing in on a loco for purchase as I left. (Shh. Don't tell his wife.)

I scored an Armstrong/Stepek layout book for a buck.  (Atlas Custom Line Layouts for HO Scale Railroads, 2nd Ed. c1957, 1971)

You can always learn something from the master. 

Added bonus, child's drawing penciled on inside of back cover...The artist is probably 45 years old by now....   

A 20' x 20' Large Scale floor layout (mostly 1:29) had rubber bands holding track sections together....which is a suggestion that I have made on this board...

See ya next year, or perhaps this fall in Eau Claire, WI.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

WGL

I'm glad Barry had someone from the Bachmann Forum to welcome him.  It takes a long time to look, talk & shop!
I expected to hear more sound locomotives.  I heard just a G steamer's whistle & an HO steamer's chuff.  I noticed many DC locomotives for sale still.  I guess I'll have to find a water tank on eBay.
Bill

BIG BEAR

Hey Bill & Joe,

Bill, Sorry I missed you. Thanks so much for the pics, I see you appreciate the more detailed layouts as Joe and I did as we were walking around. You even included a shot of my favorite train, pic #6 (the On30 Wonderland Express) I see he had the Mogul parked in back & the American pulling his passenger & combine consist.
  I'm sure we will meet some day as it doesn't take much to get me back home.

Joe, you lucky door prize winning dog. Just kidding. I did score that Mogul. I really needed it, I only have 6 others, but the thrill was worth it. 
You did not mention your thrill puchase, Chessie I believe. It was very nice seeing you again, Thanks for the tour. 

My wife even enjoyed the many displays & trying to figure out which one to vote for "Favorite display".

Hope to see you soon.

Enjoy,
      Barry 

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Joe Satnik

Dear Barry,

Yes, I did score that (pre-Atlas) Industrial Rail #5001 Sw80" (aka O-27) Chessie B&O black gondola for $10 (=2/3 the asking price).

http://web.archive.org/web/20050404161829/http://www.industrialrail.com/idmu5001a.gif

My daughter needed it desperately for her 3-Rail-O Chessie the Railroad Kitten (Williams GP-38 led) train.  (Well, I needed some excuse to justify my impulse-thrill purchase.)  Self discipline?  What self discipline?

Kalmbach customer service allowed me to convert the "Classic Trains" subscription to "Garden Railways".   Worked out pretty well for me.

Hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik