have a question about installing Soundtraxx DSD

Started by VTBob, April 18, 2010, 10:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTBob

I know this is a bachmann-only type forum, but I have searched bing, google, yahoo, & altavista search engines, &have yet to come up with ANY plans, photos, instructions on how to install a Soundtraxx EMD 567 decoder into an Athearn GP9.

Does anyone know where I can find some instructions on how to do this, because I don't want to fry or screw up this fun sounding decoder with a wrongly soldered wire.

Thanks,
Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Jim Banner

The Soundtraxx DSD diesel Tsunami comes with installation instructions.  It installs just like any motion only decoder - red wire to the right wheels, black wire to the left wheels, orange wire to the motor terminal that was connected to the right wheels, grey wire to the motor terminal that was connected to the left wheels, white wire to headlight, yellow wire to rear light, blue wire to both head and rear lights.  But remember - you must isolate the motor first.  That means removing all the connections between the motor and the wheels.  On the blue box GP9, this means removing the flat metal strap that connects the top of the motor to the gear towers and throwing it away, then cutting off the tab from the bottom brush holder where it touches the frame.  Insulating between the bottom brush holder and the frame with electrical tape is a good idea too.  You must also isolate the front light from the frame.  One side of the original bulb touches the bracket that goes down and attaches to the frame.  The easiest solution here is to remove the bulb completely and install a grain of wheat bulb, with heat shrink tubing around it, in the old mounting.  Add a second grain of wheat bulb for a rear light.

Those connections are all straight forward, especially if you have installed motion decoders previously.  The greater problem is finding room for a speaker complete with a sealed baffle.  My recommendation is that you not install the DSD in the powered locomotive but into a dummy locomotive coupled behind the powered unit.  Then you have lots of room for the DSD and its speaker and you can seal off a part of the locomotive body to form an airtight speaker baffle.  You can install little plugs on the five or six wire between the two units, or you can hard wire them and permanently couple them together.  In the latter case, you can install the rear light bulb as the headlight in the trailing unit, then there will a headlight on to match the direction of travel.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

VTBob

I have 2 images to share...one of the locos, & one of the Soundtraxx unit I have. I bought them from Tony's train (marketplace) I have 2 decoders, & one does nothing but idle, & I do not have any paperwork on them :P

I hope these load right :)

Your wiring idea seems to make alot of sense. I'm going to give it a try tonight. :)

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

richg

The SoundTraxx site has all the documents you need.
I have installed a decoder like this in a Stewart VI-1000 that came with paper work from the decoder seller. I am surprised Tony's did not supply any paper work as the decoder is usually in a plastic bag with the documentation stapled to the plastic bag.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

There is a SoundTraxx DCC site but not run by Soundtraxx.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soundtraxx/

Rich