custom radiuses and switches

Started by ryeguyisme, April 19, 2010, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

does anyone know how to custom make different radius curves and switches with efficiency?

because I could use some tips and tricks and maybe a tutorial if there is any, or a website. Planning a big winter layout much like the american flyer rochester display layout but using lionel O27 Track and including a yard somewhere within

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJVCUnuoE4

any info would be much appreciated thank you :)

phillyreading

I know of one company that sells flex track in 027 or similar radius, Gargraves makes flex track in 36.25 inches sections and all you need to mate with 027 track is adapter pins.
I am not into making any of my own switches or handlaying of track.
Ross Custom Switches makes a variety of switches for all needs, so I would see what they have before making anything of my own.

Lee F.

ryeguyisme

I wasn't exactly looking into actual flex track, I was looking at taking tinplate track apart and reassembling it to fit a certain radius, or cut it up and make switches

Joe Satnik

Dear RGIM,

Turnouts are pretty complicated.  Imitate what Gargraves and RCS do. 

As far as bending and cutting new curves out of old, you must have more scrap track, time, skill and tools than money.

What is the center-line radius of an O-27 (diam.) track section? 

How good are you at geometry, trigonometry, drafting and using a wood router?

What would your smallest radius be?  Your largest?  What would your spacing between concentric curves be?   

Do you want to perfectly match the various radii and "sections per circle" of already available O-27 (low profile tinplate 3RO) track?

Given a radius and "sections per circle", you could draft the 1:1 position of each of the 3 rails on a piece of heavy paper, and use that as a bending/cutting guide. 

If you want to get really fancy, you would buy a router bit a little wider than the width of the rail-head, and route 3 channels into a piece of wood to use as a bending/cutting guide.     

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

One of the reasons I mentioned about using flex trac and Ross switches is that you don't need to go thru all the hassles of hand laid track. I watched a video on how to lay H.O. track and it is very time consuming and requires lots of expensive tools to get the job done, also need a track gauge tool to keep alignment straight to prevent derailments even on straight tracks.

If you are really determined to hand lay track go over to O Gauge trains magazine and they may have an article on how to hand lay track.
Count the cost before doing something that involved!!

Lee F.

ryeguyisme

like I wouldn't use track spikes I'd use the metal track clips that come on lionel track and bend it back in, I was just curious as to if theres a more efficient way to bend the rail like a railbender

DominicMazoch

You might want to look at RCS.  they are making an O-72 switch using tinplate track!

Joe Satnik

Dear RGIM,

Well,

There's your next invention; an O-27 tinplate rail bender.   

When you get really good at it, you can make one that does all 3 rails at once. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Have you considered using a tubing bender to bend the rails with? It is a flexible spring looking device that you put over a copper pipe to keep it from kinking when bending it.

I tried to re-insert tubular track into the metal crossplates that Lionel uses and it can be very difficult to get the center rail and the insulater inserted properly.

Lee F.