Bachmann DCC On Board GP40's (Older Models)

Started by Rocky1266, April 26, 2010, 10:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky1266

Hello,

I have a bunch of GP40's from the "Blue Box" Bachmann DCC On Board series that I have had for years but neglect to run them because when I try to run them on Digitrax, they will run erratic, as in jerky performance, odd speed differentials, stopping and starting, etc. Cleaned the wheels and contacts, still the same performance. I did some internet research and found that people are removing the capacitors from the motor that are attached between the motor contacts. I have had these things for centuries so I am not worried about voiding any warranties or anything so that is not an issue. Can someone please tell me, do I cut all 3 out and the 2 resistors running to the motor, or just the capacitors? Thanks... Also if anyone knows any websites I could go to for pictures that show what to cut, that would help to!
- Lance

richg

Remove the capacitors. What looks like resistors are inductors that form a tuned circuit with the capacitors. With the capacitors out of the circuit, the inductors are a moot point. That is what I and many others do. I have seen this issue in many mrr forums the past two years.
You might get a good decoder with Back emf. The locos will run a lot better.

Do a Google search for decoder bemf. You will get all kinds of good info on this issue.

If you want more info, do a Google search for bachmann dcc capacitors.

Save the links that help you to share with others in the future.

Rich

Doneldon

Once you identify the decoders you want, check ebay.  They sometimes have just what you want at an attractive price.
     --D