News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Annie Wheel Problem

Started by naptowneng, April 20, 2010, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naptowneng

I have a new Annie 4-6-0 unlettered locomotive, item 81099 that  I bought mail order.  I was running it on a test stand and noticed that the middle drive wheel on the right side was oscillating while turning.  A close examination  showed that 5 of the drive wheels have brass bushings where the axel passed through the block, but the oscillating wheel does not.  Is it possible it was left out during assembly?  Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Jerry

Jon D. Miller

Jerry,
Anything is possible. The bushing could have been left off during assembly.

However, more than likely the missing bushing is on the axle and inside the motor block.  The bushings have shoulders on them that keep them in place in the motor block.  It's easy for one of these bushings to slide on the axle and end up inside the case.

This is a picture of the brass axle bushing. In this case it is a bushing on a rear driver of a 10-Wheeler.  The center axle of your locomotive will have these bushings.  You can see the outer shoulder of the bushing riding against the motor case.  

This is a picture from George Schreyer's web site.  Here you can see the center driver's brass bushings.  Your 10-Wheeler should have the same set-up.  This is a version 5 drive train so it should be the same as your locomotive. 

Remove the bottom motor block cover.  Chances are you'll find your missing bushing on the axle.  Place it back on the motor block, Install the cover, making sure all bushings stay in place and you should be back in business.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

naptowneng

JD:

Thanks a lot for you lucid response- I had started taking screws out, but thought I would seek the wisdom on the forum prior to dis-assembly.  Hopefully the bushing will be in the block.  I'll check George's web site for dis assembly directions.

Thanks again

Jerry

Jon D. Miller

Jerry,
Did you find the missing bushing?

If not, I have one that you can have.  It would be easy to install a bushing on the center axle.

JD

naptowneng

Hi JD:

I finally got the engine apart, and you were right, the bushing was on the axel, it had aparently not been properly placed over the plastic bottom box edge to hold it in place.  I did that and put it back together, and it runs properly now.  Thanks for your kind offer of a new bushing.  I appreciate it and the help with this problem.  Is has finally stopped raining here and I can get back to work on my first garden railroad effort in my yard.

Regards

Jerry

Jon D. Miller

Jerry,
Thank you for taking the time to report back.  Feedback is always appreciated.

Not only does the question/answer solve your situation; it could help others that may have a similar experience.

Now you can move on to bigger things.  Like building your railroad empire.
Have fun! :)

JD