News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need help on a FDT Trackmobile upgrade

Started by CNE Runner, April 30, 2010, 11:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

The Monks' Island Railway just took delivery on its new FDT Trackmobile. This little 'critter' will supplement our well-worn Plymouth WDT (very helpful during those 90-day inspections while the Plymouth is out of service).
I have only had the chance to run the Trackmobile one evening; and already I am impressed with the utility of this unit. It is capable of pushing 3 - 40' beer reefers (on level track) with no problems. As my wife says: "It is so cute!" [...embarassing!]

OK, more to the point: Does anyone know of a website that includes a step-by-step process to add a front coupler to the Trackmobile? Better yet, does anyone know of a shop that can add the coupler for me? [If it can be broken...I'm your man.]

Many thanks,
Ray

"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BestSnowman

I didn't know anybody made those, I am definitely adding one to my wish list!
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

CNE Runner

These are the slickest thing since Granny greased the griddle. Mine is in the Marmon factory paint scheme (or exactly like the image posted) and is in the DC flavor. The same model is also available in DCC (for a significant increase in price)...Google 'Factory Direct Trains trackmobile' for all the choices and availability.

The prototype Trackmobile featured a hydraulic coupler that raised the coupled end of the towed/pushed car - thus adding weight/tractive effort to the switcher. The prototype also had couplers on the front AND rear of the machine (I am not sure if both were hydraulic in nature). I have no idea why Factory Direct Trains decided on only a couple on one end. The beauty of this machine is that it can 'scoot' around a railyard/industry on its rubber road tires - saving time and effort. The FDT model only runs on its 'rail wheels'.

My hope is that this model will serve as an inspiration to model railroad manufacturers to reproduce other small 'critters' (are you listening Mr. Bach Man?). Warning: many versions of the FDT Trackmobile are sold out...these are very popular in Europe.

Ray

BestSnowman

I noticed in the image you posted it was missing a front coupler which seemed odd. A couple of local industries use track mobiles and a friend of my mother-in-laws works for RDO and he was saying they have the maintenance contracts for them.

He said they don't drive the smoothest on the road.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

CNE Runner

The coupler, that is included on the model, is a replica (nonworking) add on. I have been told that it simply 'pops' off with a little pressure. One chap removed this coupler (and its guard) and glued on a cut down Kadee #5 draft box. He then installed a #23 (I think) Kadee unit and painted the whole kit to match the rest of the Trackmobile. I don't know...that sounds a little crude to me.

I would imagine driving this 'critter' on its road wheels would be like driving a road grader, large frontend loader or JCB on pavement...definitely shakes up ones innards.

What amazes me is how well the FDT Trackmobile rides over both the Insufrog double slip turnout and Insufrog crossing on the Monks' Island layout. My Bachmann WDT always hesitates on these workings unless I 'crank' up the power...which must give the brakie one heck of a ride!

Ray