News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

minimum radius

Started by sf 3751 sp 4449, May 15, 2010, 06:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sf 3751 sp 4449

does anybody know what the minimum radius is for the daylight budd dome car and the santa fe pullman green passenger cars? :)

ABC

They run best on 22" radius or greater, running on anything less will create a great deal of overhang (meaning other trains or scenery could get clipped or hit) and would likely lead to derailments especially if the loco has a long tender. Using longer couplers can help prevent this sometimes.

sf 3751 sp 4449

what about 18 inch because my layout has a 18" radius and a 22" radius loop and to get to my freight yard i need to get past the 18"

ABC

Quote from: sf 3751 sp 4449 on May 15, 2010, 07:02:12 PM
what about 18 inch
Not the best idea, especially if you don't have great trackwork. What type of locos are you going to run them with? I personally have had some issues in the past with 18" radius, but they have run flawlessly on 22" and greater radius curves.

sf 3751 sp 4449

bachmann daylight and santa fe 4-8-4 and broadway limited 3751 but i found out that i can change it around to where i can get to the yard without touching a 18" radius curve

ABC

Well I guess if you are going to run a Northern and a GS-4 on 18 inch radius track you may as well run 85' passenger cars on 18" radius, but that is not a good recipe for smooth running, but if its really what you want to do...ultimately you should make the decisions and not let what I or anyone else says change your mind if you really have your heart set on something. My advice, take it for what it's worth, is to avoid running the 4-8-4's and 85 foot passenger cars on anything less than 22" radius.

sf 3751 sp 4449

uncbob

I have 50 FT Overland cars and while the run smooth at 24 radius they still  could stand improvement in the looks area

I would not even waste $ on 87 footers