Spectrum 4-4-0 tender paint stripping process?

Started by norman, May 06, 2010, 10:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norman

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dear Mr. Bachmann & others:

What is the best method for stripping the Spectrum 4-4-0 tender paint to bare plastic ?

What paint is the closest match to the Lake Brown of the unlettered Style #1 Spectrum 4-4-0 ?

Is there a Krylon paint colour that you can recommend?

Thank you

Norman

Udo

Hello Norman,
to strip the paint, in my opinion, the best method is to use "car brake fluid".
This only requires some patience. Just cover the surface with that liquid by using a "Q-tip".
I did this with my K27s. I did it side by side, so the liquid will stand on the horizontal areas.
My experience is about one day (or night) per side. Then, after the paint gets "bubbles", first remove with a paper towel and wash with water.
Regarding the paint, I have no idea what to use in your case.
Udo

Kevin Strong

I wouldn't worry about stripping down to the bare plastic. There's no need to go that extreme. If the equipment is lettered, you may want to remove the lettering so you don't get "ghosting" of the old lettering under the new paint. For that, much depends on the lettering in question. I've had one product work for one color and not the next. I've had success removing the gold lettering with a product called "Super Clean." It's an engine degreaser sold at auto stores. Soak the part in the cleaner for 10 - 15 minutes to soften the paint, then wipe off. It doesn't work on the white lettering for squat. I tried denatured alcohol with limited success on that, ultimately resorting to some ultra-fine steel wool.

When repainting, I just shoot Krylon primer over the Bachmann paint. I've never had compatibility issues in all the years I've been doing that (pretty much since the first Bachmann set came out in 1989).

As for which color best matches the "Lake," I don't know for certain. Krylon doesn't make it, that much I can say. You might find something in the MasterClass archive over at MyLargeScale.com http://archive.mylargescale.com/articles/masterclass/ . In particular, look at the Mason Bogie MasterClass. I don't know where they talk about color specifically, but I know it was discussed. David Fletcher, the gentleman behind the MasterClass series knows a lot about early locomotive colors, and can probably recommend a good match for you. His e-mail may be listed, or you can just post in the Model Making forum.

Later,

K