News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Controllers and DCC locomotives...

Started by TheBMRR, May 07, 2010, 08:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBMRR

Hello all... I am new to On30 coming from O scale...

I just purchased this locomotive which is DCC equipped, and I was wondering if I could use this controller to power it (I will not be running more than one locomotive at a time)... Would I lose any of the DCC features (speed, direction, and lighting)?

Thanks  ;D

Hamish K

I don't have the 4-6-0 but judging by other Bachmann DCC equipped  motive power it should work unless your layout is large. That controller has  sufficient power for one loco on a small to medium layout. Bachmann's DCC On30 locos run fine on DC power, speed and direction are no problem. With lighting, you will not (on DC) have independent control of the lights, so they will come on and go off as you control the speed, with a DCC controller you can separately turn the lights on and off.

I hope this helps

Hamish.

railtwister

For a similar amount of money, you should be able to find a more robust power pack out there to suit your purpose. While that power pack will undoubtedly run your loco, it's basically a low powered unit used in HO & N train sets, and it may be marginal if you add more than 1 or 2 lighted passenger cars. For a little bit more than that amount, you should be able to find one of the MRC Tech 6 units, which will give you full control of a single DCC locomotive, even one that is sound equipped, on a DC layout. Here's a tip: Never pay full retail without shopping around a little bit first. Many items in model railroading can easily be found for as much as 50% below list price if you know where to look. There are many reputable dealers who offer excellent discounts on the products they sell.

Bill

TheBMRR

mabloodhound

You do understand that this is a DC controller?   You will not get the DCC functions with this nor the advantages of all the sounds.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

TheBMRR

This locomotive does not have sounds, or at least it does not mention them on the page... My plan right now is just to run this around a small oval since I have no room for a layout... Still though, I may spring for the DCC controller, but I will have to wait and see...

NarrowMinded

for around the same price you can get an ez command, it is worth the extra few dollars there other dcc functions that are not sound related. Such as head light on and off and dimming, and also the motor drive features that will make your loco run smoother then on straight DC. The ez command I just bought from eBay was buy it now 69.00 with free shipping.

NM

Jim Banner

Quote from: mabloodhound on May 08, 2010, 10:36:47 AM
You do understand that this is a DC controller?   You will not get the DCC functions with this nor the advantages of all the sounds.

Even with a DCC system you will not get any sounds out of this silent locomotive.  As for the lights, they will work with a dc controller if they are first turned on with a DCC system.  This needs to be done only once.  The lights will be directional but not constant brightness.

I assume you already have a dc controller that you want to use.  If not, check out the difference in street price between a dc system and a DCC system.  That difference may not be as much as you think.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.