News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum decoder

Started by Richard1, May 08, 2010, 10:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard1

I recently purchased a Bachmann Spectrum HO Baldwin 4-6-0, Item No. 82302. The dealer said it had a decoder, but nothing on the box indicates so. When I go to program the engine it comes up with "Manufacturer 255" and "Decoder 255."  Is this correct? Normally it comes up with "Manufacturer 011" and "Decoder 035."  I've tried programming it on my NCE Power Cab and doesn't seem to work. What do I do?

ABC

All Bachmann 4-6-0s come standard with either a Bachmann 1 amp decoder or a Tsunami sound decoder which would be noted.

Nigel

Quote from: ABC on May 09, 2010, 12:09:50 AM
All Bachmann 4-6-0s come standard with either a Bachmann 1 amp decoder or a Tsunami sound decoder which would be noted.

The above should read: all CURRENT....

According to Walthers':
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-82302

The model 82302 is an earlier model that is DCC ready - meaning that it can accept a decoder, but does not have one installed.

You need to install a decoder in the tender.

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

ABC

He said he bought it recently, so I assumed it was a new run, but it could have been old stock I guess.

richg

Quote from: Richard1 on May 08, 2010, 10:33:30 PM
I recently purchased a Bachmann Spectrum HO Baldwin 4-6-0, Item No. 82302. The dealer said it had a decoder, but nothing on the box indicates so. When I go to program the engine it comes up with "Manufacturer 255" and "Decoder 255."  Is this correct? Normally it comes up with "Manufacturer 011" and "Decoder 035."  I've tried programming it on my NCE Power Cab and doesn't seem to work. What do I do?

If no decoder, it should come up with "Can not read CV" when using the Program Track option. Sounds like there is a decoder but the last I knew, a Bachmann decoder should be 101 Manufacturer and different number for the decoder version.
Never have seen a 255 for both but I do not have a Bachmann decoder anymore. Take ti back to the LHS and have them prove it has a decoder with their DCC controller.
The last I knew, manufacturer 11 should be NCE.

Rich

Pacific Northern

The OP gave the model number of the 4-6-0 as 82302. That is a "DCC Ready" 52" low drivers model with the Ma and Pa roadname.

The current 4-6-0's are all "DCC with Sound'. There is no 4-6-0 with DCC on board for this model. I wonder why?

It should be easy to check if there is a decoder installed, open the tender.

Obviously, if there is a decoder installed it was installed after market. If the dealer sold this as a new engine and there is a decoder installed it is not new, but a used engine.

Was this bought as a new engine?
Pacific Northern

richg

Two years ago i purchased the 4-6-0 with 52" drivers , item number 8201, unlettered, black and gold box, DCC ready, no decoder, only a DC adapter plugged in. Never tried a DCC controller as I knew the tender needed a decoder. The 255 number you see has sure surprised me.
Again, make the LHS show you how it operates with a DCC controller.

"Caveat Emptor"

Rich

Pacific Northern

Quote from: richg on May 09, 2010, 04:06:58 PM
Two years ago i purchased the 4-6-0 with 52" drivers , item number 8201, unlettered, black and gold box, DCC ready, no decoder, only a DC adapter plugged in. Never tried a DCC controller as I knew the tender needed a decoder. The 255 number you see has sure surprised me.
Again, make the LHS show you how it operates with a DCC controller.

"Caveat Emptor"

Rich

I think you meant 82301

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-82301

As this is a fairly popular locomotive I am surprised a version of it is not available without the sound decoder?
Pacific Northern

richg

82301, spell check did not get it. ???

Bachmann goes with what they "think" might sell. Only they know.

Rich