Starting into G scale with an Annie - Just a couple of questions.

Started by Jackrabbit, April 29, 2010, 03:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit

Just received my new "Annie" and it runs spectacular. Fabulous detail compared to my wife's "Royal Blue" engine she got in an estate sale, but that's probably 30 yrs older. It's great having something durable enough that our 4 yr old daughter can help me put on the track. I am looking forward to seeing it in our garden someday soon. The flat car kits I painted and assembled to haul presents around the tree last Christmas were great as well.

Just a couple of questions: How do I get the included engineer at the controls? I've tried to pass him through the window as well as over the firebox and he keeps getting hung-up on the valves and piping. I purchased #81099 the painted, unlettered engine as it closely match's an Northern Pacific class E-5 or E-7.

Second, I have been reading a lot on Garden Railroading and have read that many folks prefer the battery powered, R/C operation for outdoors especially here in the northwest. I know from my searches Bachmann sold some sets with this option. Is there a conversion kit available for the Annie if I choose to go this route?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Loco Bill

Ken,

Welcome to the hobby! 

There are two cab styles and many engineers so it is hard to answer your question on this without seeing them.  In some cases I have had to cut off part of the legs with a motor tool or fine saw to get one in.   

The very first Bachmann 4-6-0 Big Haulers were radio control(not very robust), but Bachamnn does not make a radio controlled locomotive any more.   You would have to convert your Annie to Battery/Radio control using aftermarket products.  There are many systems out there each with their own advantages and disadvantages.  If your Annie has a rear headlight it is fairly easy to convert to RC?Batt. 

Since you are starting out I would stick with your track power locomotives until you have the chance to look over the various systems.  It can be a large investment, so no need to rush.

Again welcome and enjoy your Annie!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Jackrabbit

Thanks for the info Bill. I will wait on the R/c setup for a while.

I have been an HO modeler since I was about my daughter's age, but we have no room in our small house for a layout. I wanted to get something going before my daughter got too old and lost interest in playin' with dad. When we brought out my wife's "Royal Blue" set for Christmas, it all clicked. I started researching Garden RR's and sold a boatload of my HO stuff to fund it. I also really enjoy building and painting the kits to look like turn-of-the-century N.P. equipment.

With regards to the engineer, I have the standard Bachmann engineer (#92331) that was included with the loco. The cab is the three paned side style with the center pane open. I assume there is a place in the cab for him or they wouldn't have included him. I just don't know where that would be and it isn't in any of the included diagrams.

Thanks again for welcoming and helping a newb.

Ken

Loco Bill

I used to be in HO myself,  the wife got a G set for the christmas tree, but at first I was not hooked.  My son went into it big and that got me going. 

As for the engineer,  Hmmmm!   I have to check into how I did it.  I will get back to you on that. 
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Loco Bill

Ken,

Wish I could tell you why Bachamnn included an engineer that will not fit in the cab but I can't :o!

I checked my locos and was reminded that he does not fit in either the two window or three window cab.

My solution in both cases was to use a motor tool to do a little surgery. 

To put him on the engineers side I cut him from about 1/4 inch below his left armpit on a straightline to the outside of his right hip, cutting the legs off in the process.  This allows you to slide him in through the window and wedge him between the boiler and the cab side.  I cut enough off to get his right arm hanging outside the cab.  This holds him in place I usually have the left hand raised in the cab as though he is blowing the wistle. 

On the firemans side just reverse the process and he will appear to be waving his arm at all the railfans if you rotate the left arm upward.

I don't use the guy with the shovel on the 4-6-0, but I have done surgery on him to turn him into an engineer for another loco I have.

I forgot to mention that if you do go outside with your Bachmann track from the set it wil rust out very quickly since it is made only for inside use.  You will need to get a different brand of track such as USA Trains, Aristocraft, or another brand suitable for outside use!! 

If y7ou haven't already got a subscription to Garden Railways Magazine, It is not a bad idea even if only for a year,  the articles and the advertizing will give you some good info much like MR for HO!!

Have a great weekend!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

NarrowMinded

Hi, I wonder if you have considered an elevated track around your daughters room, my daughters love theirs. I also had little room and this was a great solution,  you can place buildings in the corners   
And just build building fronts for the straights.

NM

Jackrabbit

Quote from: NarrowMinded on May 02, 2010, 06:15:29 PM
Hi, I wonder if you have considered an elevated track around your daughters room, my daughters love theirs. I also had little room and this was a great solution,  you can place buildings in the corners   
And just build building fronts for the straights.

NM

I have actually been researching those suspended track holders online. One of the furniture shops up towards Seattle has a suspended railway which our daughter spends a lot of time watching. We will have to see what happens with our finances.

Jackrabbit

Quote from: Loco Bill on May 01, 2010, 10:21:10 PM
Ken,

Wish I could tell you why Bachamnn included an engineer that will not fit in the cab but I can't :o!

I checked my locos and was reminded that he does not fit in either the two window or three window cab.

My solution in both cases was to use a motor tool to do a little surgery. 

To put him on the engineers side I cut him from about 1/4 inch below his left armpit on a straightline to the outside of his right hip, cutting the legs off in the process.  This allows you to slide him in through the window and wedge him between the boiler and the cab side.  I cut enough off to get his right arm hanging outside the cab.  This holds him in place I usually have the left hand raised in the cab as though he is blowing the wistle. 

On the firemans side just reverse the process and he will appear to be waving his arm at all the railfans if you rotate the left arm upward.

I don't use the guy with the shovel on the 4-6-0, but I have done surgery on him to turn him into an engineer for another loco I have.

I forgot to mention that if you do go outside with your Bachmann track from the set it wil rust out very quickly since it is made only for inside use.  You will need to get a different brand of track such as USA Trains, Aristocraft, or another brand suitable for outside use!! 

If y7ou haven't already got a subscription to Garden Railways Magazine, It is not a bad idea even if only for a year,  the articles and the advertizing will give you some good info much like MR for HO!!

Have a great weekend!

Thanks for all the info. I am not too shy about hackin' the little dude up. I just didn't want to do it unless it was absolutely necessary. I figure I will glue the fireman in place on the tender. That would be realistic to the era anyway. I found a picture of one of the first North Coast Limited trains on the Library of Congress site. It has a near-perfect copy of the Annie at the head end, so that is what I think I will use it as reference for modeling. Unfortunately, I can't find the locomotive in any of the rosters, not even on the NPRHA site.

I have already started adding aristoCraft brass track to our stock in preparation for going outside. I am just trying to determine what radius curves I want to go with. I would like to add an aristocraft pacific somewhere in the future, but 8ft curves would be a big part of our back yard.

Anyway thanks again for all your help.

Ken

Kevin Strong

You'll never regret going with the widest curves you can fit into the space. An 8' radius (16' diameter) is rather generous--many of us wish we could fit that. The Aristo Pacific will handle a 5' radius (10' diameter) without difficulty.

Later,

K