EZ-track loosing power at switches and crossovers?

Started by trainweapon, May 16, 2010, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainweapon

Working on my set up about 20' long by 36", so I have 2 long ovals that is all easy track and I just got the EZ command DCC system that comes with a DCC steam engine and I bought a DCC Bachman diesel . The Bachman steam engine that comes with the EZ command will completely die and loose power at all the crossovers and turnouts at low speed .You have to give it an 1-2" push and then it will start up again.At high speed it slows and hesitates at those same points but does not die, I think its momentum just carries it over.Now the diesel which is much larger does not have this problem.So what is the problem?Is it a poorly designed steam engine on crossovers?Will I have this same problem with small DCC switch engine diesels?Is there a flaw in the crossovers and turnouts?

ABC

The steam loco is a $20 loco with a decoder, don't expect miracles from a $20 loco that just happens to have a decoder. Generally speaking the more wheels that pick-up and the longer/more spread out the wheels are the less the chance of the loco stopping on insulated turnouts of crossings.

Doneldon

TW-

I think you'll have a tough time finding a Bachmann Northern for $20 so maybe you should make the one you have works as well as possible.  Sure, it won't be as smooth as a more expensive loco but you should be able to expect a trouble-free loco.  I don't have one of these but there are a few routine things you can do.

I suggest starting with your pickups.  Make sure they all contact the wheels and have a continuous connection to the decoder.  Consider adding additional pick-ups, perhaps on the tender wheels or even the engine trucks.  See to it that your rails and wheels are clean and that your loco and tender are properly weighted.  Check to see if you can add a larger flywheel. 

These things should all help.

--D