News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

minimum radius GE44 ton and GE45 ton

Started by LBS, May 18, 2010, 02:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBS

Hi there from the UK,
Can any body tell me the absolute minimum radius for the following two Bachmann ho locos GE44 ton single motor drive and the GE45 ton,these motorise chassis to be used for on30 scale,
thanking you Mike,

ABC

The GE 44 tonner with two motors can make sharper curves than the one motor version because it won't bind up because it doesn't have a central drive train. The locos should be able to make a minimum radius of 22 cm, I wouldn't be surprised if they (especially the 45 tonner) made 18 or 19 cm radius curves, but when you get to the tighter curves it is possible that some of the locos may make the curves and others may not, it kind of is luck of the draw.

Doneldon

LBS-

Twenty-two cm sounds awfully tight to me but I think you can let your rolling stock be the guide.  I'm pretty sure that anything which can be navigated by short freight cars (even four-wheelers) can be navigated by the Bachmann locos.  And that's critical.  After all, if you can't haul cars around the curves you don't need a loco not to be able to pull them!

--D

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Jim Banner

I suspect when ABC said centimeters he meant centimeters.  I cannot believe a 44 tonner would require 22 inch curves but I can imagine that it would run on 8 inch curves.  A string of 7 meter, 64 tonne ore cars would look just fine behind it.  Or if you prefer those Olde English measurements, 24 foot, 70 ton ores cars.

As Canadians living next to one of only three non-metric countries in the world, (the other two are Liberia and Myanmar,) we have had to learn to think in two different measuring systems.  Sorry to say, we sometimes forget to select the one appropriate to the people to whom we are talking.  But it gets worse.  We tend to mix the two systems together.  When working as a machinist, I might say to one of the other fellows "can you make me up a piece 17 mm in diameter by 3-1/4 inches long with an E hole down the middle" and neither of us would even notice the mixture of units, let alone think it odd or uniquely Canadian.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on May 19, 2010, 06:37:52 AM
Hey ABC did you mean inchs [sic]
No, 22 cm perhaps even less and 22 cm is about the same as 9 inch curves.

Doneldon

Jim-

It's "tonnes," and I'm in the US.

--D

richg

Looks like we need a Metric formula conversion site. I use this one a lot. Store the link in Favorites.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

Rich