News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thanks Stephen W., for ICRR photos

Started by lanny, May 14, 2007, 07:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi Stephen,

Just wanted to say a special 'thanks' for making the effort to go back and get some more great 'detail photos'. I am pretty sure now, that my Spec will become #2542 when I kit bash my 4-8-2s.

The up close detail photos are really helpful and I appreciate very much your effort in getting them for me.

regards,

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

;D Hi Lanny your most welcome, I want a model of #2542 as well might have to see if a friend of mine can bash myBachmann 4-8-2 into #2542 thinking now if I get a Walthers 2-10-2 it will be #2906 which is the number #2542 carried when she was a 2-10-2.

Here's a teaser  :o

OOPS wrong engine!

Whew much better will post the full link once everything is uploaded and in order a Friend of mine was even able to get some cab and tender shots from the gangway.

Stephen

lanny

Stephen,

My mouth is already watering just thinking about access to more photos of #2542:D!

lanny nicolet

Stephen Warrington

>:( Lanny give me a little bit I am having troubles with the website at the moment and my webmaster lives in Michigan same place as the server but I ain't complaining he gave me the space for free.

stay tuned,

Stephen

Stephen Warrington

;D Well I got the site working again, I am going charge overtime for working on my B-day lol May 15th but here's a new teaser.

I will get the rest up and a link posted soon, Now I got a question what all needs to be changed on a Bachmann 4-8-2 to turn her into a IC #2542 my friend out in Texas said he would do me one. PS Lanny the coupler works but I forgot my 1:1 scale kadee coupler gauge to check that trip pin lol  :D

Stephen

Stephen Warrington

;D Ok for everyone waiting here is the link, not all have been posted of the trip but most of the steam detail shots have.

http://steve.bill--porter.com/photos_taken_on_may_the_13th.htm

Stephen

lanny

Hi Stephen,

Your photos are awesome!! Again, thanks so much for going to all that trouble. What a wonderful textbook of details for 'kit bashing'! Really great shots. I have a folder devoted to 2542 and it 'chock' full of your great photos.

As to turning a Spectrum Heavy 4-8-2 into something like #2542, it's 'doable' as I understand it ... but I think Ray Breyer (Orsonroy) would be much better qualified to answer your question in detail, Stephen. I think that the Spectrum has some details that would need to be removed.

ICRR steam was pretty 'Spartan' ... not a lot of stuff on the boiler. I think I remember Ray saying something akin to this thought; with ICRR kit bashing, you remove a lot more than you put back on.

BTW ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you were able to enjoy a chunk of cake ... hope you had a great day.

best regards,

lanny nicolet

Orsonroy

QuoteNow I got a question what all needs to be changed on a Bachmann 4-8-2 to turn her into a IC #2542 my friend out in Texas said he would do me one.
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Do you want the short answer, or the long one?

Short answer is: lots!

The long answer is, well, long. Essentially, you'll have to strip everything off the boiler of the USRA HEAVY 4-8-2 (don't bother looking at the light for an IC engine) except for the boiler bands and the cab, and start over. It's really not all that hard a project, since IC engines (as Lanny pointed out) are pretty bare of "doo-dads". The biggest problem is fabricating the Paducah domes, and Lanny and I are working on that.

Oh: you'll need to work on the tender too.

I think I did a writeup on converting a 4-8-2 for Lanny about a year ago. Let me check my email stash; if I can find it I'll pass it along to you.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

Stephen Warrington

:o Thanks Ray for all your help and Lanny for your nice comments. I do my best to help anyone out that I can because you never know when you will need help.

I just got some kitbashing fodder off of Ebay. Lanny you want to IC arize a Rock Island 2-8-0 for me lol. It Bachmann I learned my lesson on Hallmark ::)
got it for $60.50 which includes shipping so not a bad deal.

Lanny adding more pictures now, don't drool  to much on thekeyboard itmight short out. I had a very small piece of cake on my B-day and some wonderful seafood and Mississippi Catfish at one of my favorite  restaurants in Vicksburg on the Mississippi River over looking the1930 Rail/highway bridge

Stephen

lanny

Stephen,

I'll send you some 'closeups' of what i have done so far to my 2-8-0 to "ICarrize' it (nice new word, Stephen  :D).

It will be sometime in the future, but if you decide to do a #908, when I get a few of the Paducah domes I am builiding a pattern for Ray to use, I'll be more than happy to send you one. But that will be some months down the road.

The beauty of the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 is that, depending on how 'far' you want to take kit bashing detailing, it is already basically an ICRR locomotive so doesn't require a whole lot to make it a reasonable resemeblance of the actual prototype 'beastie'.

We have company this weekend, so it may be a few days before I get 'good closeup' photos sent ... I am not very good with my wife's digital camera ... it is supposed to take good closeups. Sometimes I get them, most of the time I get blurs.

lanny nicoloet