Is it possible to make H0n3 / H0n30 trucks for the GE-45 tonner?

Started by gdamen, May 15, 2010, 04:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdamen

Hi everyone,

I'm a H0n3 modeler and the Bachmann GE45-ton locomotive is just the item which I would like to add to my roster. Unfortunately after examining the trucks I saw that it is impossible to change the width to accommodate H0n3, 10.5mm, (or H0n30, 9 mm). But, the trucks are cleverly engineered and with the right tools (which are they should have) at your disposal it shouldn't be big problem to create a H0n3/H0n30 truck which would solve my (and others) problem

If you consider the success Blackstone has with their K-27 / C-19's steam engines(which costing whopping $ 420!) in the H0n3 market, imagine what the first reasonable priced H0n3/H0n30 diesel would do....

I hope others find this also a good idea please feel free to comment.

Best regards,
Gino Damen
The Netherlands
Fremo-H0n3

richg

Just might be possible. NWSL has HOn3 wheel sets for the Spectrum 70 ton. It will take some planning on your part. Have you taken the loco apart yet?

Rich

gdamen

Rich,

Not yet simple because I don't own one. But I have been able to examine a specimen of a fellow modeler.  I also have found some images of the underside and trucks of a GE-70 Tonner (a thread in the Zealot forum). Internally the gearing looks the same (all gears on one side). The difference is the power pickup. The GE70 has a metal strip in which the wheels ride and the GE45 uses wipers on the back of the wheels. On the GE45 it is also easy to remove the trucks they are just locked with a tab. Also a problem is the price, a GE45 costs about ~80 euro which is a lot for just an experiment.

Gino Damen

richg

I just compared the 70 ton PDF with the 45 tom PDF and it does look like quite a challenge.

Rich

gdamen

Rich,

The biggest problem are the axis. The are not split, but continues with tapered ends. Perhaps I should start with a GE70 and after that try a GE45. I truly hope Bachmann sees the potential for this little gem on H0n3.

Gino