Detailing Locomotives and Rolling Stock

Started by mudhen, May 20, 2010, 08:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

I still can't figure out why garden railroaders go to so much detail on there scenery and land scapping and forget about there motive power and rolling stock. For me this is the most enjoyable part of the hobby next to running trains, especially Stream. I model the D&RGW and The Grand Trunk Western. It's great fun!

on30gn15

Quote from: mudhen on May 20, 2010, 08:09:25 PM...why garden railroaders go to so much detail on there scenery and land scapping ... It's great fun!

Easy answer  ;D that's their most enjoyable part  8)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

I think many of us have been raised to take care of our trains more then any other item, there is a museum ere when it comes to model trains which stops many from "defacing" these beautiful things.
until recently I could not bare to paint a mint loco, rolling stock was never a problem.
I started Weathering only beat up used loco's now that I feel I won't destroy them I have started to weather them in typical "proud crew" condition, I see some fine weathering on locos
By others but I think they take it to far for a in service loco.

NM

Kevin Strong

I think you can put garden railroads in a four-square grid. You've got those who couldn't care a fig about landscaping or "realistic" trains, you've got folks who have very detailed trains running on little more than tracks on boards, you've got folks who--as put forth here--have very detailed, scale gardens with bright shiny trains running through them, and then you've got folks who have the detailed trains and detailed scenery.

I haven't the foggiest what drives people to one pursuit or the other; I suppose for some, the gardening comes naturally and the modeling doesn't, or vice versa. Some (like me) enjoy both, and others just want something moving in the garden, regardless. The variety is fun, but I must admit I gravitate towards the railroadst that best match my interestes in terms of picking my "favorites."

Later,

K

ScottyB

That's the great thing about this hobby - everyone gets to do as they please.  I operate at a few local layouts - some guys have track everywhere and zero scenery, some have tons of scenery and only a handful of cars.

For me, I don't understand the first thing about railroad operations.  My grandfather had Lionel trains in his basement and I just always wanted a layout.  Finescale is not for me, but for others, it's the only way.

There is nothing wrong with either.  What a great hobby!
On30 for me, N scale for my son.