News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

electric shock

Started by tadpole, May 19, 2010, 05:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tadpole

Hi,

I want to get the thomas train for my son.   He is 5 years old.    I like to know how
safe is the EZ track.    If he put his hands across the rail, would he get electric shock ?

thomasj219

NO they are very safe they only way that could happen is if something is put together very wrong. :D
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

StanierJack

The sets themselves, well the majority of modern HO, are 12 volts DC. Not much more than one of those square batteries.

I've have small shocks off older equipment before, but the sets are safe enough. (The shock I got wasn't from Bachmann equipment either ;) )

densmore

Yeah no chance of shock just by touching the rails tadpole. Just don't

• let any metal objects lay on the track while trains are running-you'll get a short circuit.
  • run the trains on carpet, as stray dirt, etc. could jam up the locos and track.

Hope this helps!

ZeldaTheSwordsman

You might get a bit of a static shock from the rails, though. The rails are unlikely to shock you otherwise, but when they're live you will feel the current going through. It kinda tickles.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on May 21, 2010, 01:35:01 AM
You might get a bit of a static shock from the rails, though. The rails are unlikely to shock you otherwise, but when they're live you will feel the current going through. It kinda tickles.
Kinda hard to get static shock from it unless you rub your finger against it.. or something  :P

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on May 21, 2010, 01:35:01 AM
I've felt this shock before on my friends layout, like the tickling feeling. It kinda feels like putting your tongue to a 9 Volt :P. But, not to worry. My friend had Atlas track, so I'm not sure if it would do that with EZ Track.

Hoss

Shouldn't happen, worst I've had was sparks arcing from the rails to derailed wheels. It was old equipment, way older than me.