News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derailment Question

Started by trainweapon, May 27, 2010, 08:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainweapon

Just bought Bachman DCC Baldwin #51306.Runs like a charm until it hits any switches or crossovers.Ive never seen a train derail this much.It doesnt derail everytime or on any one particular switch,but it derails about 75% of the time when it attempts to switch or crossover.I unerstand occasional derailments, but this is ridiculous.Are there any adjustments I can make?I have a Union Pacific Loco that never derails.Any thoughts?

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

OldTimer

It never hurts to turn the engine over and make sure that the trucks can move freely without snagging on some part of the body or frame.  Also, make sure the uncoupling pins are clearing the rail tops.  Riun your engine SLOWLY through a turnout and watch carefully; you may be able to see how the derailment happens and that will point you to the cause.  Good Luck.
Just workin' on the railroad.

jonathan

TW,

Great advice offered by Oldtimer.

Here's an assessment of my derailment issues with turnouts:

99%:  coupler trip pins were too low.  Even if you don't have a trip pin tool, careful use of two needle nose pliers can fix it.  Don't bend 'em too high, like a fish hook.

0.9%: humps or dips in the turnout.  Of all the tracklaying skills, laying the turnout smoothly is the most critical (opinion).  Sanding or shimming the roadbed is the usual fix.

0.09%: a bit of schmutz caught in the frog or switch points, like ballast or ground foam.

0.01%:  wheels or switch mechanism out of gage.  These days, with mass production machines, it still happens, just not very often in my experience.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

TW -

I agree with the earlier posts but I'll throw in another piece of information.  Although your problem certainly seems to be a loco problem, switches sometimes cause trouble, too.  Get one of the clear Lucite track inspection cars (Model Expo has them) so you can watch what happens as wheels go through a switch, or anywhere on your track for that matter.  I've been able to quickly diagnose several problems this way.  Plus, it's interesting to see just what is happening where the rubber meets the road, er, the steel rolls on steel, er, the whatever rolls on nickel silver.  Or brass. 

--D