News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C&O 2-6-6-2 Waddle

Started by OlddManWithHO, May 26, 2010, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlddManWithHO

Received in my new 2-6-6-2 C&O engine a few days ago and I noticed that it waddles a little on the straight away.  I've got it on a test track with straight flex track and it shimmy's from side to side forward and reverse.  It appears to be the front engine section that ain't quite right.   Anyone else have any problems like this and should I be able to expect Bachmann to do an alignment on it?

By the way, this engine is in HO scale with Bachmann part number 82625.

Roger

GN.2-6-8-0

Are you sure all of the black packing foam has been removed between the front engine and the bouler? Bachmaan places these little bits to protect the fragile front engine during shipping.
Rocky Lives

OlddManWithHO

It was after I noticed the foam up in front below the boiler and removed it  that I noticed the odd movement of the engine.  I think it's 3rd axle back on the front drive truck.

OlddManWithHO

After turning the loco upside down on a piece of foam, I hooked up rail lines to the tender pickups and ran the loco slowly.  It's very obvious now it's the 3rd axle on the front truck now.  it shimmys from side to side as it cranks around .  This would transfer the motion in to the loco and make it wobble down the track.

Now the question is, should I try to fix it by twisting the wheel on its axle or have Bachmann do it?  I dont want to lose my warranty service.

Doneldon

Old Man (like me) -

I'm sort of guessing but I'll bet that your problem on the third axle in the front engine isn't as easy as an out-of-gauge wheel set.  I'll be that one or both wheels is not perpendicular to the axle, causing the waddle you noticed.  I'd give this one to Bachmann.  It might need a special tool to get both wheels straight on the axle, and there might be the possibility of breaking a wheel or axle.

--D

the Bach-man

Dear OM,
By all means return your loco to the service department.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

OlddManWithHO

The wheels are perdendicular to the track, but I'm sure that it's just a matter of the one wheel sets not put together properly on the axle.

And yes, Bachmann sir, I did send it into the Warranty service department.  Thanks.

Doneldon

Old Man (like me) -

The wheels should be parallel to the track.  It's the axles which should be perpendicular.  Even a small variance, one too small to see without careful measurement, could cause a problem, particularly with locomotive wheels.  I think you did the right thing in turning this over to Bachmann.

--D