Northeast regonal vs Acela

Started by Joe323, June 02, 2010, 03:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

I just found out today that I will be going to a 3 day business conference in Washington DC Sept 12 - 15 2010.  Since I live in Staten Island, NY, I was thinking this would be the perfect trip to take Amtrak rather then drive. 

The hotel is right off the Washington Metro and I will not need a car.  OK here's my question  Knowing that my employer will probably only pay for me to take a regular Northeast Regional train from NJ (either Newark or Metropark) is it worthwhile for me to pay the extra $86 each way myself to take Acela?  Is there really a big difference in the coach service between a regular train vs Acela that justifies the cost.  Time is not much of a factor I have half a day both ways to travel.  However what about on time performance?  I know Acela is roughly 30min faster but what else would justify the extra cost?

RAM

Will they pay you to fly?  What is the difference in the cost. If you just want to ride it, howabout a oneway trip on Acela.

Guilford Guy

Northeast Regional is your standard Amtrak Coach. There's a cafe car in the middle of train for your average Amtrak food. Acela is a step up and I believe they bring you complementary drinks. The seating and interior is a lot nicer. I've never had much of a problem with trains being late, for the most part NEC trains run on time. When you calculate the time it would take to get to JFK, go through security, and wait for the planes departure, travel times are comparable with that of the train.
Alex

Doneldon

Joe -

The accomodations on trains are huge and comfortable in comparison to planes or, shudder, buses.  I'd have a hard time justifying $86 to save less than an hour.  Take a paper or a book to read, walk the train a couple of times, chat with some other passengers, have something to eat and you'll be there.  You can do all of these on either train.  Yes, the Acela is quicker and a bit nicer, but is it worth $3 per minute?  Only you can decide.
                                                                                                        -- D

Joe323

Thanks for all the replies I'll see how the travel department wants to handle this.

Joe323

Northeast Regional is your standard Amtrak Coach. There's a cafe car in the middle of train for your average Amtrak food. Acela is a step up and I believe they bring you complementary drinks. The seating and interior is a lot nicer. I've never had much of a problem with trains being late, for the most part NEC trains run on time. When you calculate the time it would take to get to JFK, go through security, and wait for the planes departure, travel times are comparable with that of the train.

Actually I would probably fly out of Newark.  For a 3 day conference where I really do not have to be there till Monday morning (Though I'll probably schedule a dinner meeting on Sunday Evening) to me its not worth the hassle of going though airport security and having to squeeze into those tin cans called airplanes these days.  Most likely I'll ask to take the 11AM Northeast Regional from Metropark in Islin NJ. My Fiance' will drop me off That should get me to DC around 2PM giving me 4 hours to check in to the hotel and register at the conference and still have plenty of time for dinner lol.

The return will also be NR to Islin no earlier then 2 PM.
The return has to be no earlier then 2PM.  I'm looking forward to this trip  I have not been on Amtrak in over 5 years.

john tricarico

hi joe
i know theres a price difference between regional and
acela service 
but look   its the adventure of a train ride
book it the way you want and enjoy the scenery

good luck   john t  brooklyn ny