News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Everything Thomas June 2010

Started by Hoss, May 29, 2010, 10:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss

A continuation since I can't find the original.

Has anyone else have trouble opening the Bachman Thomas packing? It's a real pain in the Ka-rear. The best way I found was using a utility knife to cut (Into a piece of wood and away from you.) the model out. Someone tell me why Bachman doesn't use boxes like the rest of their products?

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Because the Thomas models are considered to be toys by the manufacturer and the safety board. They are consequently packaged like toys.

Hoss

If I have to use a knife to get a model of Gordon open, and I'm 16, how is a 5 year old supposed to get it open? Hornby use boxes for their Thomas line. Scissors do not cut this stuff. What ever it is, its tough stuff.

Anthony P2

as in the words of George Carlin "PLASTIC!"

thomasj219

The Everything Thomas topic is right here http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9310.660.html please delete this and use that for any info.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: thomasj219 on May 30, 2010, 02:32:12 PM
The Everything Thomas topic is right here http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9310.660.html please delete this and use that for any info.
Doesn't really matter, since that one isn't the first Everything topic either if I recall

Hoss

Quote from: thomasj219 on May 30, 2010, 02:32:12 PM
I couldn't find it and it's getting long anyways.

thomasj219

It was the first and we don't need another one taking up space and it is long so people can find info instead of cluttering up the board so us that one.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

James The Red Engine

Quote from: Hoss on May 30, 2010, 10:15:21 AM
If I have to use a knife to get a model of Gordon open, and I'm 16, how is a 5 year old supposed to get it open? Hornby use boxes for their Thomas line. Scissors do not cut this stuff. What ever it is, its tough stuff.

I use my pocket knife and cut along the back of the bottom then along the back of the sides.  This creates a flap so I can pack up the models whenever I'm going to a hobby show or just don't plan on using them in the near future.  Also helps if I plan to part with the model. ;)

PerfectPercy

Scissors don't work eh? I use 'em fine with the boxes.

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on May 30, 2010, 05:04:27 AM
Because the Thomas models are considered to be toys by the manufacturer and the safety board. They are consequently packaged like toys.

If they are packaged like toys then they should be easy to open!  :P Don't mean to be rude, but he said he was 16. If a 16 year old finds it annoying to open the package, the 5 year old might as well break the item while attempting to open the box.

I use a scissors and cut around the edge of the bottom and half way up on both sides of the box to create a flap in a way to pull the model and molded plastic "bed" out. I find it to keep the general and original shape of the box through this method. It seems to work for me.

Hoss

Quote from: thomasj219 on May 30, 2010, 11:54:57 PM
It was the first and we don't need another one taking up space and it is long so people can find info instead of cluttering up the board so us that one.

It was long, besides, this board is nothing compared to the Model Railroader forums.
Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on June 01, 2010, 04:47:25 PM
Scissors don't work eh? I use 'em fine with the boxes.

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on May 30, 2010, 05:04:27 AM

If they are packaged like toys then they should be easy to open!  :P Don't mean to be rude, but he said he was 16. If a 16 year old finds it annoying to open the package, the 5 year old might as well break the item while attempting to open the box.

I use a scissors and cut around the edge of the bottom and half way up on both sides of the box to create a flap in a way to pull the model and molded plastic "bed" out. I find it to keep the general and original shape of the box through this method. It seems to work for me.

Thank you! Last time I used scissors to try and open a Bachman Thomas product, I damn near broke the scissors. Like most, a pocket knife or utility knife works good.

GWR14

last time i opened one of these things, i cut my hand up 6-7 times.

the 5 year old might as well break the item while attempting to open the box.

oh i can see it now. a little boy gets Spencer for Xmas, gets so mad, he stomps on it to open the packaging. happy Xmas mom and dad, a $70.00 hunk of broken metal and plastic!!!

Cheeky_ULP

I really wish they'd use boxes.. I despise any item that comes in that kind of plastic. It's annoying, and more harmful than it's worth.  ::)

Cardboard at least has lots of uses.

The Chaz Storm

I agree with Sparks, I've always wanted Bachmann products to be in a nice package.  It's one of many reasons why I also like athearn...or atlas...or hornby. :P

Anyway I know this an everything Thomas topic but I must say that I have never been so happy to say that I recently purchased the "Greatest Stories" Thomas and Friends DVD.  Very well worth the purchase, what surprised me more then anything was that the DVD had Diesel's Devious Deed narrated by Ringo in the US version!  I kid you not (if you haven't watched the DVD yet).  Worth the purchase for both old and new fans alike.

Anyways I sold my Hornby Bill and Ben (with the help of a friend) so as soon as the money comes I'll preorder Bachmann Bill and Ben. ;D

JD417

chaz's comment made me think of a questin...
are all of you selling your hornby bill and ben? (if you have them)