HO Christmas Reversing Trolley Car Set problems

Started by AlucardMCDXXXI, June 03, 2010, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlucardMCDXXXI

hello everyone i have been having problems on and off with this product since i 1st got it but but when it works right it works great, there has to be some little demon in my setup that I'm over looking and maybe someone here can help me figure out what it is. whats happening at the moment is the trolley doesn't want to pick up the power from the track. I purchased another HO trolley to make sure that mine wasn't bad but the new one doesn't work on it either. I also trouble shot the both tolley's by putting direct power to the wheels and both motors ran perfect. I have a bachelors of science in electrical engineering so i figured i would trouble shoot it best i know how, i ever so gently ripped into the thing to see how far the power was actually going checking for shorts in the wires. the power transformer puts the proper voltage out from the control unit and sends it all the way to the track all that seems to check out just fine but when i run the volt meter across the two tracks it shows nothing. i think maybe i ran the track wrong but lost my instructions so i have no clue. if someone has those or can give me an idea of what might be up with it i would be more then thankfull

Jhanecker2

to Alucard MCDXXXI :  Question ?  Is all your track  reversing track ? I seem to recall that reversing track has extra circuitry that is utilized by the trolley controls in the station. You might want to test the continuity of each track piece seperately and make sure all the rail joiners are making contact.  Does the transformer output to a plug or does it connect with two single condutor wires ?

AlucardMCDXXXI

no all my track is not auto reversing track mainly because it cost twice as much as easy track and all it has it 2 wires that run underneth each track to connect to the auto reversing pice of track that is supposed to be connected to the bumper so what i have done is ran my own 2 conducter wire dirrectly from the trolly house to the auto reversing pice of track at the final destination. this has worked well in the past and make your recomendation of testing the continuity of each track piece seperately and make sure all the rail joiners are making contact alot easier. As for the  transformer output it goes to a to a plug. i have this setup here http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1209

Doneldon

Alucard -

It might seem elementary but make sure your track is clean.  Nothing will screw up operations more or faster than dirty track.
                                                                                          -- D

AlucardMCDXXXI

thats for the idea but the track is clean, i think it maybe be something in the auto reversing track i dont know if there was a special piece of track that had to hook to the trolley house or not i know the track pice that did the auto reversing opperation itself had to go to the bumper at the end of the track.

Jhanecker2

Check to make sure the plug is making contact with its mating part , also make sure the wires into the plug are not broken .    Worked for a electrical connector manufacturer for 19 years as an inspector and found that strange things  happen between wires & contacts.  Considering the relatively small gauge wire used intermitent breaks can occur . Had this same problem with headphone wires and jacks over the years .  John II.

BIG BEAR

Did you make sure the "end piece" is the last piece of track, it has a bar to reverse the trolley instead of wires going all the way through the bottom of track.

Good luck,
     Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

AlucardMCDXXXI

yes i did make sure that the end piece is the last piece of track, I'll have to check to make sure the plug is making contact with its mating part and also make  sure the wires into the plug are not broken. ill keep checking on the  Discussion Boards for new posts but for thoes who responded thank you.