CP boiler about same color as Bachmann light silver-blue

Started by on30gn15, June 18, 2010, 01:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hey Y'all;

Reflection of sky in this restored and running CP loco's boiler jacketing is pretty near same color as silver-blue used on some 4-6-0 boilers.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=328065

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=258672

When not angled for bright sky reflection it is more grayish.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=200200
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Doneldon

on30 -

I'm not sure but I think the Russian iron color on the early locomotives was more of a stain or lacquer than a paint.   
                                                                    -- D

on30gn15

Quote from: Doneldon on June 18, 2010, 03:43:02 AM... think the Russian iron color on the early locomotives was more of a stain or lacquer than a paint.

Actually, on real locomotives,  it was "none of the above" - it was bare metal.

Here's a reference:

Page 101, American Locomotives, an Engineering History, 1830-1880 by John H. White, Jr.

Quote"Wood lagging rapidly deteriorated when exposed to rain, snow, sun, and sparks from the engine itself. Sheet-metal fitted over the wood lagging not only shielded it from destruction but also reduced radiation by reflecting the heat back into the boiler's interior. The smooth, polished surface of the meta jackets was in effect a mirror. Russia sheet iron was a favorite material for locomotive jackets because of its remarkably rich and lustrous finish. The finish was often a silvery grey but was also available in shades of green or brown. Cheaper, planished iron of American manufacture replaced the authentic Russian product in the 1870's. Russian iron and its imitations were of course ornamental as well as utilitarian and did much to enliven the engine's appearance until about 1900 when it was replaced by ordinary sheet steel painted a dreary black."

page 220
Quote"Thus far in our discussion, some emphasis has been place on paint, varnish, and color, but it should be noted that the greater portion of the locomotive, discounting the tender, was decorated in bright metals. Planish iron, polished cast iron, steel, brass, and copper constituted most of the locomotive's exterior surface. The boiler jacket and occasionally the cylinder and valve box covers were of planished iron. This material has already been described in the section on boiler jackets."

later,
off to do laundry.
later, Forrest

Doneldon

on30 -

I stand corrected.  Thank you.  But how did they get the various hues?  Were different alloys used?

-- D

on30gn15

Good question.

Someone other than me is going to have to give the definitive answer to that one.

It seems some knowledge of the processing has been lost, but if not by differing alloys at least by altering mixes of different reactive chemicals or by use of slightly different temperatures.
later, Forrest