News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The straight edge

Started by vidguy069, May 23, 2010, 11:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidguy069

Hello to all and to all a hello.
I'm in the process of setting up the atlas HO-23 "Folded dogbone with branch". Or at least attempting to do it.  My favorite NSLHS (Not So Local Hobby Shop) will not be getting the DCC umber 4 turnouts until July. Very Boo Hoo.   :'( 
My question is, what is the length of the straight edge of that turnout.  I know the length of the standard is nine inches.  Is the #4 the same?  I can use 9 inch track as temp pieces until the actual ones arrive if this is the case.
And before you ask, my LHS does not carry a lot of Bachmann EZ track.

Thank you all
Vidguy069

jbsmith

it should be about the same.

there are many online hobby shops that carry ez-track, often at discounted prices, and your order is delivered to your door! usually UPS or FedEx.  Beats waiting for a NSLHS to restock its shelves.

here are three good ones, i have done buiseness with all of them and they are prompt about shipping out orders.

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index.php

jward

yes, the atlas 4 is a drop in replacement for a 9" straight. the curved side, however, has no equivalent piece.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

He however is getting Bachmann DCC #4s, I don't have any, so I'm not sure if there is a difference.

jward

silly me.

i assumed that since he was building a layout out of the atlas plan book he'd be using the atlas track called for in the plan.

let us know how this one turns out, i've always liked that plan.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Caution:

Atlas #4 and Bachmann#4 are 2 completely different animals.  They are NOT drop in replacements for each other. 

Their only similarity is their stated turnout number. 

The Atlas #4 turnout is actually a #4.45, (= 12.83 degrees departure angle),

where the Bachmann seems to be (screen measurements only) very close to #4 (= 14.25 degrees d.a.).

Length, Atlas = 9", Bachmann between 10.25" and 10.5", if you can believe the products section picture is accurate. 

The difference in length is because of the width of Bachmann's attached roadbed ( = 2").   Atlas track width is only the length of the ties (= 1-1/8"),  and only has to travel 9" to clear the separating ties from each other to allow the next track pieces to attach.  Bachmann's has to widen further to fit the 2" roadbed.

FYI, the departure angle of the Bachmann #5 (~12 degrees) is closer to the Atlas #4 (12.83 degrees) than Bachmann's #4.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

vidguy069

Joe and all;
Thanks for the information.  I'll probably order some @5s instead.  The REALLY good news is my FOLHS (Favorite On Line Hobby Shop) has the #5s IN STOCK!!!

I'm a happy rail roader..

Jward et al:  You can follow the progress/regress on my blog.  Started just yesterday.  Address http://www.diversionsonline.net/Trains

Vidguy069

Joe Satnik

Again, caution. 

Bachmann's #5 is not a drop in either, in fact it is 2-1/2" longer than the Atlas #4. 

Again, 2" plastic roadbed width (Bachmann) vs 1-1/8" tie width (Atlas) pretty much dictates mismatches on almost all turnouts and crossings.  The only one that comes close is the Bachmann "remote" turnout matching the Atlas "Snap Switch" with the 10 degree extra piece attached and turning in the same direction as the turnout.  A good number of the Atlas layouts that use the Snap Switch don't attach the extra 10 degree piece, therefore making the Atlas layout impossible to copy using Bachmann EZ-track.   

You have 3 choices here.

1. Pure Atlas.

2. Atlas turnouts and crossings over cork, rest Bachmann EZ-Track, bury it all in glued ballast.

3. Pure Bachmann, with lots of cutting, gouging, splicing and language you wouldn't dare use around Sr. Mary Hypotenuse. 

Here's a free download of a CAD program with both track libraries.  Play around with both companies' track.  The free version limits the number of track pieces, (50?), buy the program to unlock unlimited.   

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

vidguy069

Drat, drat, and double drat.
After seconds of consideration, I've decided to go with option 3, modified.
Sr. Mary, 'cover your ears. Yes, again.' ;)
I'm not that concerned with an EXACT match.  Since Bachmann # 5 is closer in divergent angle to atlas 4 than Bachmann #4, AND more importantly I have only Bachmann track and Model Power lighted bumper(s) I'm going to stick with Bachmann.  If you want to know the progression details,and what Sr. Mary is missing, go to my blog.  Earlier post same thread has address.

vidguy069

Doneldon

VidGuy-

I used all EZ Track (except turntable tracks) for my grandson's 4x8, and I still had to do quite a bit of surgery to adapt to an Atlas Snap Track design.  It's not all that difficult or unsightly so I say go for it.  And if you can't stand the appearance, use some added balast and no one will know the difference.  The Bachmann track is really pretty good, I think, when it comes to keeping things lined up.  I had no trouble getting straight straightaways or smooth, kink-free curves.  I did have to adjust switches for clearance and to get some yard tracks closer together.

--D

vidguy069

D
I predict that this layout will go the way of ALL previous ones.  Starts out as 'A' and ends up being 'J'.  It will probably look very little to what's in the book, and function even less like the book describes.  That, to me, is where the fun is.
I'm staying all Bachmann, and what doesn't match, I'll create a work around, and add/or something not in the blueprints (actually green and black prints), just 'cause I can.  ;D

Vidguy069

vidguy069

All;
One last question and I'll drop the topic.
What is the length of the straight edge of the number % turnouts.  I'm not concerned with the divergent angle. I want to make sure I enough table space since the mismatch in track measurements is making things interesting.   :o

The layout is on hold while I await track delivery.   :(

vidguy069

ABC

Quote from: vidguy069 on June 06, 2010, 02:05:31 PM
What is the length of the straight edge of the number % turnouts. 
Do you mean #5 turnouts?

Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

More Bachmann HO EZ-Track #5 turnout dimensions than you really want to know, here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,12595.0.html

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik