News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

weathering a spectrum reading gp30

Started by kh25, June 17, 2010, 06:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh25

here is a few question
the green and yellow on the reading gp30 seems a little off, what would be the best way to darken the factory green a diluted solution of alcohol and india ink washed  over the green just enough to darken the green. and the yellow looks a little off so i have seen pictures of worn yellow on reading units that looks almost a cream color would a light was of alcohl lighten the yello?
thanks
mark

Doneldon

kh -

You probably won't have much luck if your goal is to have a loco in new condition with correct colors.  That borders on the impossible and would likely screw up your lettering in the process.  I suggest you leave the colors as they are if you want a new looking loco. 

If you plan to weather your loco, which would be the best way to go, ignore the color imperfection you have and just go on to the weathering.  You'll end up with a handsome model and the inaccurate original paint color won't even be noticeable. 
                                                                                             -- D

ebtbob

KH,

Remember,  in the real world,  not every Reading GP30 had exactly the same color green and yellow.   Over time weather and sun exposure had a tendency to fade colors.   It is also possible that different engines were painted with different lots of paint.
      For weathering ideas it is best to get a Reading book with color pix.  Different engines used in different service,  i.e.  general revenue freight as compared to coal service,  would look different.   
      For weathering anything,  color pix are always a GREAT help!!
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org