News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Track wish list

Started by Hagel, June 03, 2010, 01:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagel

I love Bachmann E-Z track it makes setting up a layout a snap. I was just wondering if there are any particular pieces that other fans might like to see made. I know I would love to see Bachmann come out with a turntable that would be compatible with the E-Z track system.

WTierce1

The problem with that is it goes with steel aloy track, they need a nickel silver version. That track stays cleen FOREVER!
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Joe323

The other problem is that the turntable is manual is there a way to motorize it? 

ABC

Quote from: Joe323 on June 03, 2010, 01:24:15 PM
The other problem is that the turntable is manual is there a way to motorize it? 
It is possible, but it wouldn't be very easy nor worth your while, it would be much easier just to use an Atlas, Walthers, or any other motorized turntable.

Joe323

Quote from: ABC on June 03, 2010, 01:59:57 PM
Quote from: Joe323 on June 03, 2010, 01:24:15 PM
It is possible, but it wouldn't be very easy nor worth your while, it would be much easier just to use an Atlas, Walthers, or any other motorized turntable.

I agree ABC the question was purely hypothetical.  Plus the turntable Bachmann sells is for the Thomas line aimed at kids.  I suspect the other turntables would be f higher quality designed for adults.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The most basic needed piece: a long radius curve to take the #6 turnout divergent route back to parallel.

Since the Radius of the Closure Rail (RCR - see NMRA http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/rp12_3.html) is typically 43"R for a #6, the long radius curve should be closer to that than the lousy 18"R 10 degree curve that we are stuck with.

A 33-1/4"R half curve (9 degrees) could possibly work.  It depends on the actual departure angle of the turnout.

Anyone have a #6 to measure the actual departure angle?

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Guilford Guy

Also for Joe, depends how well versed you are in trigonometry.
http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/railway/turnout.htm
Alex

Joe Satnik

Dear GG,

Neat website. 

Those equations seem familiar.   

Speaking of fiction and fantasy, many mfrs, Bmann included, number their turnouts, but build them with departure angles that don't match the number. 

So, someone has to make a precise angle measurement, or 3 precise length measurements of the triangle formed by the frog and the two frog rails (the inside rails of the main and divergent routes).  The departure angle can then be calculated from those 3 lengths. 

Once the departure angle is calculated, the long radius curve can be made (or cut) to the same degrees. 

Free the 2" straights !

Speaking of that, I think we are coming up on the 5th year anniversary of asking for 2" straights. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Hagel

I did know that Bachmann even made a turn table. Mr. Bachmann is there a chance that this item would be available without the Thomas the Train round house. I know I would buy one.  Is there any plans to make a motor unit for the Thomas turn table.

ABC

With the current design a motor would be out of the question, but maybe you can buy the turntable separate on ebay or buy both and sell the roundhouse.