News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Outdoor track

Started by dallasj100, June 17, 2010, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasj100

I have been reading on this forum re: track for outdoor layouts, and see that Bachmann track is a no-go for outdoor applications. I use track power and have a small layout (60') of LGB brass, looking to expand. I read that Aristo-Craft and USA Trains products are compatible with LGB, but have read no commentary on Piko track. Please share your experience with Piko, and mixing & matching brands in general.
Thanks...

mudhen

Piko track is the replacement for LGB Track.

Kevin Strong

Piko's track is very good. Theirs and TrainLine 45's seem to both be up to the quality of the LGB track. Both are made in Germany.

Later,

K

NarrowMinded

The piko track works fine with lgb and aristo the big differance is the joiners lgb and aristo have joiners that are screwed to the track piko has no screws and holds the track with a little a little indent  , the joiner has a tab that fits in a slot on the plastic ties, these come loose
At times, this with the fact that the rails are not screwed to the ties like the other two can cause issues when joining them, it is a very minor issue though and they work perfect once assembled

NM

dallasj100

Folks...
Thank you for this info, though NM my LGB track rail joiners are crimped, not screwed, on (?).
Would like to be clear on the curve degree and radii of the LGB and Piko. The literature indicates circle diameters in rounded feet as:
LGB R1/30deg - 4', R2/30deg - 5', R3/22.5deg - 8', R5/15deg - 15'
Piko R1/30deg - 4', R3/30deg - 6', R5/15deg - 8'
I will dust off my geometry book, but it looks like to obtain the equivalent of LGB R3, I would need to use Piko R5.
True? Close? False?
Thanks again...

Kevin Strong

LGB's R3 is a few inches less than 8' diameter. Without looking at the exact numbers, it's something like 7' 8" or so. Probably not enough of a difference to where you couldn't squeeze 8 pieces of Piko and 8 pieces of LGB and make a circle, but there is a difference. Note also that if you buy used LGB R3 track, it may be even tighter. LGB's early R3 track was bent to the wrong radius--something like 7' 4". It took 15 1/2 pieces to make a smooth circle. That changed in the mid 80s, I think, so you'd have to buy really old curves to notice that. It's unlikely anyone could even tell the difference at this point. Those who have track that old will most likely have mixed it together with newer stuff. Goodness knows I have.

Later,

K

NarrowMinded

Hmmm, I buy all my track used the lgb I have came in a mixed lot with some aristo craft I wonder now if it was drilled and tapped by the original owner.

Nm

dallasj100

NM - not sure what to tell you, just that all my LGB track, from older to brand new, has crimped-on connectors. BTW - all fit snuggly, good conductivity, etc. No worries...

K - can't tell from your last... are you suggesting using Piko R3 with LGB R3? Seems the Piko R5 would be the better curvature match to LGB R3.

Thanks...

Doneldon

dallas -

Yes, the radii are equivalent.  However, the amount of curvature is not.  Note that the LGB track curves 22.5o but the Piko curves only 15o.  This means you need 24 pieces of Piko for a circle but only 16 pieces of the LGB.
                                                                               -- D