News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NEW 3-TRUCK SHAY

Started by Shoo LIne, June 22, 2010, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoo LIne

HELP.....
our new 3-truck Shay arrived today and I do NOT have DCC and only use track power with Train Engineer R/C. After lubing everything I got the engine to run BUT:
the backup/reverse and forward whistles are reversed -
the headlight / backup lights are also reversed -
I can't get the whistle to blow for crossings or anything except the 2 toots to go forward (it goes backward)
and 3 toots for reverse (and it goes forward) -

I don't find anything in the literature or the DVDs that came with the engine on how to correct the problems. It pretty much just talks about DCC controls.

Can anyone PLEASE help me figure this out??
THANKS MUCH!!

Tony Walsham

That be it.
You cannot control the sound functions without DCC.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Shoo LIne

Hi Tony,
THANKS MUCH  for the info. If that's the case it sounds just like MTH system, you can't do much without buying into their operating system.

But the instruction sheets does say it comes set up to run basic DC operation with the different sounds preset. The crossing whistle is supposed to be triggered by a "spike in the speed" - but nothing happens when I do that.
There is only one switch and thats in the smoke box cover -
all the way to the left is"LARGE SCALE" -
the center position shows "DIRECTION" -
all the way to the right is "NMRA STANDARD" -

Going forward I get the bell, the whistle, chuff and pumps -
Going in reverse you only get the whistle, chuff and pumps -
Leaving the switch in the center is like neutral with the basic sounds -

Is there any way to change something so we can get the crossing whistle? If we could add that to the sounds we're getting now we would have to be satisifed.

DCC is out of the question, can't afford it for the engines we have.

Thanks Mate!

Tony Walsham

Perhaps you could get the correct number of toots relative to the direction by switching the NMRA - LARGE SCALE switch the other way.

Other than that I am afraid you will need advice from someone more conversant with the DCC deocder fitted.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Doneldon

Shoo -

Perhaps this applies to your loco, too.

-- D

Dear Wazzas,
The LGB MTS system does not conform to DCC, so it's not surprising that it won't work. The company that made MTS decoders is still in business; perhaps they'll have an idea on how to use one with the other.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Shoo LIne

G'evening -
we have a different problem with our new 3-truck Shay that the Bachmann manual/instruction sheets don't tell you what to do or how to correct.

We use straight 12 volt DC track power which does NOT exceed 3.5 amps and we do NOT have DCC or any similiar system.

The Quick Start instruction sheet page 9 of the Bachmann 3-truck Shay states "While the sound system installed is first and foremost a DCC decoder it may be used on a DC powered layout. When analog mode is enabled you may control your loco using an ordinary power-pack through operation will a bit different than when running non-decoder equipped locos - further it indicates up around 5 volts will provide sufficient voltage to power up the internal circuitry of the decoder - and you will begin to hear the background sounds such as the blower and air pump start" (which ours does). It also says not to exceed 27 volts or the decoder will automatically shut off the sound and motor and flash the front and rear lights - our system cannot get up to 27 volts so is not a concern.

It states not to use the older rheostat style power pack or pulse power which our Bridgwerks transformer does not have either.

The Bachmann instructions  state some automatic functions such as the grade crossing whistle may require a higher sensitivity setting that are needed for DCC operation to avoid continual triggering of the sound effect -
That is one of our concerns - WE CAN'T GET THE GRADE CROSSING WHISTLE and the instructions do NOT tell you how to accomplish this "HIGHER SENSITIVITY SETTING"

The other concern is no matter where the 3-position switch behind the boiler cover is set, the engine moves in the opposite direction of any other G gauge engines we have. The bell, headlight and backup light are not coordinated with the direction the engine moves either.

HOW do we make the corrections to get the engine to operate per Bachmann instruction sheets?? Are there other switches or changes that can be made elsewhere on the engine??

I don't know if it could be a simple correction but we need help and a FIX from Mr. Bachmann. We can't afford this expensive an engine  :(  that won't operate properly.
Thanks much

Shoo LIne

THANKS MUCH!!
I'll find someone with DCC and see if we can go over these and do what it takes to get it working.
Can't tell you how much we appreciate it!!
Have a great weekend!!