News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New locomotive won't run?

Started by NorfolkAndWestern578, June 18, 2010, 11:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkAndWestern578

I bought an N Scale N&W J with AUX tender and I can't seem to get it to run. The track is clean, everything is wired right, the locomotive is greased and oiled, and it's not derailed. I just can't seem to get it to run. I just got it today and put it on the test track after making sure it was greased and oiled. Does anyone know what I could do to make it run? I've already called the Bachmann service department and am waiting on a call from them, but I'd really like to see if I can get it running myself. Thanks in advance if you can help.

ABC

Did you lube/oil/grease it? If so, this could be your problem, also check all the wires inside the loco to make sure one of the connections isn't loose. Or you could have a short, in which case you would have an overload.

the Bach-man

Dear 578,
Look carefully at the tender wheelsets. Has one come out and been replaced backwards?
If not, service will make arrangements for repair/ replacement.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

skipgear

Does the headlight come on?

Is the loco shorting out the track or just not running?

If no light and no short circuit then remove the tender shell and check to see that the small brass jumper clips on the light board are tight. They can fit loose and cause intermittent connection.

Also, did you remove the small pieces of foam from the pilot and trailing trucks?

I will agree with ABC, Bachmann loco's come with enough lube to last a lifetime out of the box (too much). Adding lube is usually a dangerous thing as it will creep into the motor and cause problems down the road.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950