News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running back to back DCC Locos

Started by allstate8114093292, August 23, 2010, 08:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allstate8114093292

Hi all.  Well, I am sure this question isn't anything new, but is new to me.  I have two Bachmann DCC Diesels, and intend to run them back to back.  Don't have a DCC controller yet, as I am buying so much different stuff right now (mostly Bachmann and Prewar Lionel), so will run them for a short time with straight DC. 

My question here is, after I get both running one direction, will they both run evenly, or is there any risk of one trying to run faster than the other?  I just don't want to see any smoke from new locomotives.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jack

richg

They might run evenly, they might not. Try them to find out. Just do not couple them with this test.

Rich

jward

with most decoder equipped locomotives and a decent dcc system you should be able to adjust their speeds to match each other. you can also program one to run reverse if you intend to keep them together as a pair. if you are adding locomotives to thea consist, they will usually be set up to run in the consist in the last direction they ran before they were added to the consist.

on dc, you can't make any adjustments to match speed, but the locomotives will always move in the same direction as each other when you run them together.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

The locos will be similar if they are the same loco, but irregardless it does not help to have DCC locos if you do not have a DCC system, it is the same as buying DC locos.

Jim Banner

For those of us who lack unlimited budgets, buying the DCC versions of locomotives makes eminent sense if we plan to switch to DCC sometime in the future.  That way we will not end up dumping our dc only locomotives on eBay and buying replacements that are DCC equipped, or paying a high price to have our locomotives updated with decoders.

Not everyone is willing to do their own decoder installations.  I frequently see people being advised on this board to replace their present dc only locomotives with new DCC on board units.  How much easier on the budget it would be to buy DCC on board units in the first place.

I suspect allstate8114093292  is planning for the future for he tells us
QuoteDon't have a DCC controller yet, ...

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.