News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale couplers

Started by Frankv, June 27, 2010, 03:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankv

My grandson & I have had an HO layout for some time, and he's urging me to start an N layout. I've learned (the hard way) some of the basics for HO; eg, metal wheels are better than plastic, and knuckle couplers do not work with horn hooks. But N is another world. For one thing, the darn things are not much bigger than my thumb. What are some of the important gotchas for N scale? For example, are there different N couplers out there. I keep reading about Rapido couplers - is there any other kind, and if so, which is better? Any general advice you could give us (like "don't do it") would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

ABC

The best couplers are working knuckle couplers like MT makes. Most new Bachmann equipment has dummy (non-operating) knuckle couplers. Most older Bachmann equipment has Rapido couplers. If at all possible go with working knuckle couplers as they have the most realistic appearance and are reliable. Also in N metal wheels seem to work out better than plastic, at least this has been my experience. Also, the more wheels that pick up power (as far as locos and tenders go) the better.

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
Our new N Scale equipment is shipping with operating couplers, which will also be available separately. Look for them soon at your dealer.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

keithwarltier

Dear Frank,
Pictures of the new operating couplers can be seen at Title: New N scale coupler pics.  Limiting your purchases of engines and rolling stock to items that have coupler sockets which accept the new couplers will save a ton of work.  You can of course still buy items that are compatible with the new couplers.
When you need an electric uncoupler, take a look at the Kadee 708 HOn3 & N Scale Electric Uncoupler.
If you are thinking about DCC, I can highly recommend after one or two years of use, Bachmann E-Z Command Control Centre eventually enhanced by an E-Z Command Companion.
For first class N Scale bimonthlies, try for US, N-Scale Magazine (www.nscalemagazine.com) or for UK, N Gauge Journal (www.ngaugesociety.com).  
Happy shunting,
Keith