News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-4-0 American and Tender

Started by krmiddle46, June 25, 2010, 04:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krmiddle46

Can anyone tell me what the driver and pilot wheel diameters are for the Bachmann 4-4-0? Also, the distance between drivers, the wheelbase of the pilot truck, and the distance from the front driver to either the rear wheel on the pilot truck or the center of the pilot truck. I'm trying to evaluate it for possible kit-bashing to a different prototype.

Thanks.

ABC

You can go to your local hobby shop and make the measurements firsthand. You can ask the owner to order one for you and if it doesn't work out he can still sell it. After writing this...I got the feeling that you are going to say you don't have a local hobby shop, in which case you can use a picture of the locomotive to figure out some of the information you need. Both my spectrum and regular line 4-4-0's are in storage, which one were you referring to, I may be able to get one out of storage to measure for you.

TwinZephyr

You can go to your local hobby shop and make the measurements firsthand. You can ask the owner to order one for you and if it doesn't work out he can still sell it.

Ordering an item your hobby shop does not normally stock and then declining to pay for it is not likely to get you on the store owner's good side.

ABC

Quote from: TwinZephyr on June 25, 2010, 06:50:34 PMOrdering an item your hobby shop does not normally stock and then declining to pay for it is not likely to get you on the store owner's good side.
I wouldn't consider a Bachmann 4-4-0 too obscure, that he would have a really hard time selling it, but usually at my local hobby shops this isn't a problem as long as they have a good chance of selling what you ordered. In fact probably the majority of local hobby shops would have at least one Bachmann 4-4-0 in stock every other year.

richg

Quote from: krmiddle46 on June 25, 2010, 04:32:58 PM
Can anyone tell me what the driver and pilot wheel diameters are for the Bachmann 4-4-0? Also, the distance between drivers, the wheelbase of the pilot truck, and the distance from the front driver to either the rear wheel on the pilot truck or the center of the pilot truck. I'm trying to evaluate it for possible kit-bashing to a different prototype.

Thanks.

Not at home right now but will check my 4-4-0 Saturday  and let you know.

Rich

Doneldon

middle -

Remember that model locomotive wheel diameters and spacing (wheelbase) do not correspond exactly to prototype.  The need for larger, relatively, flanges on models causes manufacturers to reduce wheel size and increase wheelbase.  This doesn't generally occur for pilot or trailing trucks but it is common, possibly universal for drive wheels.
                                                                                             -- D

richg

The below measuments where taken using digital caliper. Hit Ctrl+ keys on your keyboard to make the picture larger. Then click Ctrl- to get the screen back to what you usually use. You can also save the picture to your PC.

Rich

krmiddle46

Thank you richg -- exactly what I was looking for.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: richg on June 26, 2010, 09:51:20 AM

Nice job of customizing that engine. If it weren't for the drivers, I'd hardly recognize it as a Bachmann engine.