Installing DCC in Spectrum EMD SD-45 #82708

Started by Marcopolo123, July 04, 2010, 02:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcopolo123

Hi all!  I'm new to the board and just getting back into model railroading after a 20 year hiatus!  Boy, have things changed!  I just purchased a new Spectrum EMD SD-45 from a gentleman on e-bay.  The part number on the box says it is #82708.  According to the literature it was produced in 2003 and is "DCC Ready".  I understand this to mean that it will easily accept an NMRA standard decoder.  However, when I removed the shell, I see the PC board, but no 8-pin plug like I was expecting...  I would like to put a Tsunami AT1000 sound card in this fella... Is that possible?  Is the PC board an installed decoder, by any chance?  Thanks for any help you can give a newbie, oldie!

ABC

The PC Board id not a decoder, but the loco is isolated, so you can hard wire most any HO decoder in this loco.

Marcopolo123

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am going to download the installation manual from the Tsunami site and see if I can make sense out of it.  Should be a fun project...

Curiosly, as I look at the PC Board, I notice there seems to be a spot for a resistor (r3) that is missing it's resistor...  Seems to run great, though!

ABC

I was thinking of a capacitor or condenser...which eliminates interference. The resistor does not, sorry for the mix-up.

richg

I have the Spectrum 44 ton and 70 ton but removed the PC boards and did a hard wire install for sound decoders. The PC boards were ready for a motor/light decoder using the connections on the factory PC board. Those style decoders are much smaller than a sound decoder.
Probably have to remove the PC board and install the AT1000 decoder board. I have not seen the inside of this style loco.
If you get  chance, take pictures of the project and post them here.

I use the AT1000 decoders. I use LED's so had to add resistors.

Rich

full maxx

if its dcc ready look and see if there is a little rectangle board with soldier on it...if so pull it out and thats where the decoder plugs in ... if not it would have to be hard wired
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com