dc vs dcc and what is needed

Started by gilly, July 08, 2010, 04:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilly

I'm Wondering if anyone knows what you need to run a Bachman Ho Steam engine  item no 84306 that is advertized as dc or dcc...if I only have a Variable DC power suppy such as tech II, can I run this engine and can I changed the sound type...is there anything else needed such as " decoders,controlls, other sound modules etc.   I don't find their site very helpful.....thanks in advance

richg

You can run a loco under DC if it has a dual more decoder. Some are not dual mode but many are. With a sound decoder, you cannot change sounds while using DC control.
Bachmann locos that come with Bachmann decoders will run using DC.
Bachmann locos that come with factory sound decoders will run on DC but no control over sounds.

It sounds like you need to do a lot of homework studying how DCC locos run and what is required. Installing decdoers is not plug and play for many locos.

http://www.awrr.com/dccintro1.html

The loco you mention has a very good sound decoder and you will have some sounds but not be able to control them. Micro Mark has an unletterd for about $170.00. Peach Creek shops has the 84306 for about $200.

Below are the manual for this sound loco. Download them into your PC. THere are instructions for running analog or called DC.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf
http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/OEM%20Steam%20Users%20Guide.pdf

Rich

Doneldon

Gilly-

Most of Bachmann's sound locomotives, including yours, will run on DC while producing a preset sound pattern which you can't modify except with a DCC controller (not the Bachmann EZ DCC). It's not like you'll just get random, nonsensical sound; it will be appropriate.  However, you'll find that your loco will run better on DC if you pull the jumpers on the decoder.
                                                                                                  -- D

ABC

To fully enjoy a sound locomotive I suggest investing in a DCC system. If you have a friend with an advanced DCC system (not the E-Z Command) then he can help you program your decoder. At the very least get an E-Z Command so you will have control over when sounds are played and the loco will run much better. I do not really see a point of buying a loco with a sound decoder if you do not have DCC, because the loco will run significantly better if you install the 2 jumpers included with your locomotive, but then you have no sound. If you plan on staying DC for a long time I suggest you purchase a non-sound loco, and if/when you decide to switch to DCC you can always buy a sound decoder with an 8-pin plug on the wire harness.

jward

one point not brought up is that advanced dcc starter systems like the digitrax zephyr are relatively inexpensive. they probably cost less than the sound equipped loco you'd use them to run. and with the zephyr, you can use your old tech 2 pack as a second throttle......

nce and atlas offer similar systems for under $200. and bachmann offers the dynamis for about $100 more.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA