News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

three way switch

Started by dagnarble, July 08, 2010, 12:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagnarble

I have a Peco three way switch, that I am using as the entrance to my yard. How do I wire this switch? While testing, all locos stopped wether going left, right, or straight ahead. Do I need to power all three tracks or is there one hookup that will provide power to whichever track I go to?? Thanks

richg

Quote from: dagnarble on July 08, 2010, 12:17:00 PM

I have a Peco three way switch, that I am using as the entrance to my yard. How do I wire this switch? While testing, all locos stopped wether going left, right, or straight ahead. Do I need to power all three tracks or is there one hookup that will provide power to whichever track I go to?? Thanks

Yes, add wires. Our club did this and we followed the instruction sheet that comes with the switch. It is very clear.

Rich

CNE Runner

It took a little searching but I was able to find the reference page that was invaluable to me when I installed my first Peco 3-way turnout. Loy's Toys has a series of reference pages that describe how to wire various Peco track components. More to the point is his page on Peco 3-way turnouts which can be found at:
To control the polarity of the two frogs, you will need to install two SPDT switches. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use a Tortoise switch machine (you will need 2 of these) - which contain a SPDT connection. I like to manually throw my turnouts so I went with 2 Caboose Industries Operating Ground Throws w/SPDT contacts (#220S - sprung). These are fairly easy to assemble and wire. I should also mention that the Blue Point manual switch machine by New Rail Models also has a built-in SPDT switch (again, you will need 2 units).

If given the choice, always use Peco Electrofrog components. Contact me off line if you need more assistance.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Below is what we followed. We used the twin coil machies for the turnout  fired by a CD supply.

Rich

dagnarble

Thanks for the diagram. I will be throwing the switches manually. Looks like the power is to the main (central track) once you get past the frog. I will try it that way. I had this switch working great about ten years ago but can't remember how I did it.

richg

Below is a link for a three way diode matrix to switch the machines.

file:///home/lexon/Documents/Trains/Track%20work/3way.htm

Rich

Jim Banner

What Peco and others call a three way switch is really two regular switches so close together that they overlap.  If you think of them that way, the need for two motors to operate them becomes obvious.

The only true three way switch is a three way stub switch.  But it might look a little funny running your dash 9 over one.

Interestingly enough, switching the three frogs of a three way stub switch uses the same logic as switching the three frogs of a Peco three way switch.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.