News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Motor Grinding Noise?

Started by Chessie Sys. 3022, June 30, 2010, 12:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chessie Sys. 3022

Hi guys, I have a Spectrum GP30 and the motor runs fine when fired up at 50%, but past that it starts to make awful grinding noises and seems to shake. Any help on the problem? It's a noisy runner and I'd love for it to be quieter! Thanks!

full maxx

have you tried a good cleaning and lube
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Chessie Sys. 3022

Hm I haven't tried it, mostly because I don't really know how to go about doing that! :P

full maxx

if bought new there should be a diagram with the engine that will sort of show how to get it apart and you can refer to the product reference diagram page for help, but once apart clean any old grease and replace with new grease...put a light and I mean light coat of oil on all bearings and friction spots on the drive train...Bachmann makes a nice selection of lubes but you can get some from your local hobby shop, just ask for help if needed as not to get the wrong stuff...a good lube job made my first 2-8-0 quieter and run better... hope this helps
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Chessie Sys. 3022

Doneldon

Chessie-

Be sure the lubricants you use are plastic compatible.  They'll really mess things up if they're not.  Also, try to decide how much a tiny application of lubricant is and then use half as much as that.  Just a tiny bit from a toothpick -- not a drop clinging to the end -- is plenty.
                                                                                         -- D

jerryl

Doesn't sound like lube to me, especially the shake. Sounds like a split gear or more. Very common in the P2K. Walthers used to provide replacements free for every P2K that you owned.  I think they ended this program, but the parts are still available.  Just snap the bottom gear cover off, pull out & replace all gearsets, lube & snap the cover back on. I have heard that the Athearn wheelsets also fit.   The best...jerry

Chessie Sys. 3022

So I've been too worried that I'll break something when I take it apart, so I'm just going to wait until I go to the hobby shop for a decoder and ask them to maybe give me some help or advice. I usually need a picture for things like this to know exactly what to do!

jerryl

I had the exact feeling as I slipped the screwdriver under the first clip.  Some are easier than others...like most things, the first one is the toughest.  Slide a small thin blade screwdriver under the end & twist.  You don't have to take anything else apart.    The Best....jerry

Chessie Sys. 3022

I'm not entirely sure what direction I should go now. I've lubed the gears and it has made no difference, except for maybe running a bit smoother. It still makes grinding sounds and is a very loud runner. I would try replacing the gears, but my dad said that "it's not worth it to replace it, so what if it runs a bit noisily?" Unfortunately, he doesn't care at all for realism, he just wants a train that runs in a circle and he's fine. Fortunately, I'm the one building the railroad, so what I say goes... :P Maybe I'll try and save up myself for the gears? What do you guys think?