News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC upgrade for 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 Bachmans

Started by Colli, July 13, 2010, 07:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colli

Hey guys,
                 Just ordered a USRA 0-6-0 and a 2-6-0 Mogul and I want to convert them to DCC.  any suggestions where I can find a write up on how to do them.  Pictures would be nice too.  Thanks. Colli.

jonathan

Colli,

If you have ordered the latest versions of these locomotives:

The USRA 0-6-0 already has a decoder (DCC on board).  I do not know if they still offer the USRA 0-6-0 without a decoder.

The 2-6-0 is the old split frame construction, which means you will have to isolate the motor pick ups from the frame halves.  I have never worked on this loco, so I can't offer any advice on it.  Sorry.  Hang in there.  There's a good chance someone out there has done it.

Regards,

Jonathan

Chessie Sys. 3022

Since the 2-6-0 is split frame construction, this link might be of use to you:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/Spectrum_Dash_8-40CW/Spectrum%20Dash%208-40CW.html

It's not your locomotive but it probably has the same principals for installing a decoder. Hope this helps!

ABC

Quote from: jonathan on July 13, 2010, 08:45:27 AM
The USRA 0-6-0 already has a decoder (DCC on board).  I do not know if they still offer the USRA 0-6-0 without a decoder.
Actually the 0-6-0 is only available in about half the road names with DCC and none of the Vanderbilt tender 0-6-0's are currently being made with DCC. Additionally, the odds that he would acquire a DCC loco would not be too great at this time because most hobby shops want to sell their older stock before ordering new stock, the latest run of 0-6-0's with DCC have not been available for very long, and he's asking a question about how to install DCC.
I do have some tips though, a DZ123 or DZ125 will fit in almost anything and should work for both these locos and if it all possible wire the tender for pick-up also especially if you have insulfrog turnouts, because with DCC locos can be more picky about this.

Colli

Many thanks guys, I knew someone out there would have what I need.What did we do before the internet.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  This model train stuff is an expensive hobby but what else do you do when you dont smoke or drink any more.  Thanks again guys.

Regards, Colli.

RBMN #425 Fan

is there any way to install a speaker and a chip in a dc 0-6-0 with a slope back tender????????????????????????????????????????
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

ABC

Quote from: RBMN #425 Fan on July 14, 2010, 09:43:45 AM
s there any way to install a speaker and a chip in a dc 0-6-0 with a slope back tender?
Yes, but it would require a lot of work because there is not enough room for a speaker in the locomotive, so you would have to put it in the tender, as part of the process you would likely want to add pick-up to the tender because DCC sound decoders can be finicky, so just to be safe I would do that. Also depending on which one you have you may need to insulate the motor, and after that it would be like any other install of a DZ123 or DZ125. As long as you can soldier, and have some basic background with the right tools and some diagrams handy, then give it a go. Be sure to test your loco before applying full power and possibly frying the decoder due to a short or other issue.

richg

Quote from: RBMN #425 Fan on July 14, 2010, 09:43:45 AM
is there any way to install a speaker and a chip in a dc 0-6-0 with a slope back tender????????????????????????????????????????

I have installed a SoundTraxx older DSD-090LC decoder and 14mm x 25mm speaker in the standard Vanderbilt tender but it was a lot of work. You will need some experience at doing something like this. It  is not plug and play. I do believe the slope back would not have enough room.

The tender came from a older 0-6-0 standard Bachmann.
The loco had a DZ15 decoder in it first and then I thought of putting sound in the tender. Runs quite well.

Rich

ABC

Quote from: richg on July 14, 2010, 11:08:12 AM
I do believe the slope back would not have enough room.
You are correct I got the smallest speaker I had and took a peek, and it appears as though it won't fit, so you would need a new tender also, perhaps buy a Spectrum tender separate as it already has an 8-pin socket and the 2 harnesses, so then you would need to install the sockets for the harnesses in the loco, which is not exactly elementary either.

RBMN #425 Fan

i was actually thinking of buying an auxiliary water tender because my engine is decorated as steamtown's BLW #26
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

Doneldon

Colli-

There's always philandering.  However, that sometimes meets with a lot of disgust.

As to your sound install, already having a DCC decoder in the loco should make things much easier.  I think you could put a Sound Bug in the tender and just use the same loco address for it so you can conveniently control it.  I haven't looked recently but the decoder sellers have lots of speakers of different sizes, including some very small ones for N-gauge.  Also, don't limit your install to firing the speaker down through the floor; firing up through the coal load is also a possibility.  In either case, seal the tender so the whole inside serves as a baffle.
                                                                                                -- D