News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc sound chips

Started by spectrum5, September 29, 2010, 08:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectrum5

I have several Spectrum HO and ON30 locos .most have dcc ,but I have since got 2 sound equipped locos. I want to put sound in all my locos now. What I want to know is do I change the dcc chip thats in the loco and add a sound chip or what . I know I have to add a speaker but are sound chips also dcc .Thanks  for any help .Spectrum5

ABC

You should buy a new decoder for each non-sound loco for best results, however if your locomotives are not Spectrums or otherwise do not have a 8 pin socket or were not made with the intention of sound being added then you may have to do a lot of work to add sound. Almost all of the regular DCC line of Bachmann diesel & electric locomotives do not have the space required to add a sound, decoder, speaker, and baffle. Let us know which locomotives you have so we can advise you further.

mabloodhound

ABC's suggestion is good.   Although you can buy just a sound chip and add it to your already DCC loco, it takes more room and wiring and it's easiest to just buy the one combination chip.
As for adding sound to non-DCC locos, with patience, work and some imagineering, sound can be added to any loco.   Check out some of the other forums and you'll see it being done all the time.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

richg

They are decoder with chips on them. Better known as Integrated circuits or IC's on the decoders.

I put sound decoders in Spectrum 44 tonners and a 70 tonner diesels. No connectors. All hard wired.
The Spectrum 4-4-0 and a small driver 4-6-0, I hard wired sound decoders. Both have the small tender. They have 8 pin connectors but I found it easier to hard wire.
Many factory equipped larger diesels have light board sound decoders.
Some diesel DCC ready, have a light board circuit for lights with a 8 pin or nine pin connector for a decoder and can take a shrink wrapped sound decoder.
Some steamers are like that. There are many possibilities so be specific with the loco.
You might look for the different decoder manufacturers before buying. They have most of their specs and sound samples on line.
You should do some homework. Yeah, I know, who wants to do homework anymore.
Your mileage may vary.

Rich

Doneldon

spec5-

You might want to reconsider putting sound in every loco.  Sound often uses more current than the highly efficient motors in modern models which could mean you end up short on power.  Also, having more than one or two sound locos operating at a time can make for a real din.
                                                                                                                                    -- D