News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

making farm crops

Started by mctrain, July 16, 2010, 10:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mctrain

I am looking for n gauge farm crops or ideas on how to make them. I hope somebody out there can tell where to get them or make them. thanks

buzz

Hi mctrain
Start with your local hobby shop.
Are we talking generally accepted farm crops or something a bit different
like sun flowers or cabbages on a commercial scale.
Nice plowed fields can be done with the thin corrugated stuff that comes in some boxes of chocolates a coat of earth brown 
Some fine green Ground foam run down the top of the ridges in a straight neetish line could be a field of just about anything you want to call it.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

Michigan Railfan

You could also post this in the N scale forum. I'm sure you will get good, and more replies. ;)

railsider

A piece of what's called "wide-wale corduroy" from a fabric store (or your wife's sewing room) makes a nice matte-finish and suitably irregular plowed field, with the furrows somewhat flexible for realism. Try to find it in dark brown; if not, dye or paint it. Dry-brush green plants just coming up in spring. Use your imagination!

Railsider

Doneldon

Corduroy comes in so many different sizes (wales) that it can be used for fields in any scale you can think of.

-- D

Jhanecker2

Mctrain :  Checkout the  N&Z  scale Walters  Reference  Catalog   I believe they crops in their scenery section.

Jhanecker2

I actually got around to check the only N & Z scale Walters Reference Catalog  I have on hand circa 2006 & found that they do not have crops in the scenery section , they do have trees , hedges and grass that can be trimmed to fit but that is all.  don't know if anything was added later. J2.

jbsmith

There an company called Busch.   No,,,not the beer company.
This outfit makes crops , among other things,for MR'ing layout.
Based in Germany,,but their products are carried by many online hobby shops all over the world.

Mostly for HO scale, but there is a few in N scale.

link

http://www.busch-model.com/english.htm