News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-4-0 problem

Started by johns, July 18, 2010, 10:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johns

I've had one of the 4-4-0's for a few years that came with DCC on board but no sound. 
I've never been satisfied with how it runs, especially in reverse.  I'm in the early stages of a new layout but have enough track down to have given it a good break in.
Out of the box, it needed speed step 10 to 12 to start moving. Some changes with CV2 and break in has helped that issue.  But still the jerkiness, especially in reverse.
I was at the National Train Show in Milwaukee on Friday and discussed this with one of the Bachmann staff.  The first thing he asked was what DCC system I was using.  I'm running with the Digitrax Empire Builder.  He said that was the problem...something about Digitrax that can cause the problem I'm having.

He suggested to try running it on DC and see if I still saw the problem with jerkiness.  Hadn't tried this before but he was right. On DC, it starts smoothly in both directions and no "jerkiness" while running in either direction.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do now?  Is this the downside of running with 128 speed steps? 

john

full maxx

what brand decoder comes in the spectrum line
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on July 19, 2010, 05:40:02 AM
what brand decoder comes in the spectrum line
Bachmann has their own decoders in all locos, except Tsunamis are in the sound locos.

OldTimer

It is usually more productive to suggest alternatives than to blame another manufacturer for your problem.  The question would seem to be, "Why does taking your decoder out of the circuit make the loco run better?"  The free exchange of ideas usually solves more problems than censorship, too
Jim Davis
The Old Time Curmudgeon.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe323

I would think 128 speed steps would make it run smoother not jerky.  Remember the first DCC was only 14 steps.  If you have a test track perhaps you could try swapping either the decoder or the command station or both (perhaps you could barrow from a friend) and find the cause.

johns

Good news to report.  I had a Digitrax DZ143 decoder on hand and tried it in the 4-4-0.  Problem solved.  No more jerky operation and somewhat better low speed control.  I also have a just purchased Bachmann Chinese Mike with similar jerky operation and I will try a Digitrax or maybe TCS decoder to see if it will run better.
Thanks for the suggestions to try a different decoder.

john