News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheels squealing on Amfleets

Started by Ken S., July 22, 2010, 07:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S.

I just ran my set of Phase V Amfleets and noticed that the wheels on the cafe were squealing horribly and it seemed to be causing the HHP-8 to spin its wheels in spots.

Jim Banner

Are these lighted cars?  The phosphor bronze pickups often squeal if they are dry.  One small drop of conductive oil everywhere the pickups rub will silence them and improve power transfer.

Check all the axles on all the cars to make sure they turn freely.  Pickups for lighting cause extra drag so you might want to add a little oil to all the pickups, if used.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Ken-

A little graphite in the journals is also a good idea.

-- D

Ken S.

I saw something in another thread about disabling the lighting. Would that be a good idea?

Doneldon

Ken-

You have to decide for yourself but I sure wouldn't.  Why disable a feature you paid for?

-- D

Michigan Railfan

Im going to just so that there's no drag on these cars and so that the lights themselves aren't draining power from my power pack. It's a feature I could care less about, but that's just me.

Ken S.

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on July 25, 2010, 12:23:21 AM
Im going to just so that there's no drag on these cars and so that the lights themselves aren't draining power from my power pack. It's a feature I could care less about, but that's just me.

That's why I'm thinking about doing it. But, I think the HHP is a poor hauler anyway since it strained pulling 4 Walthers Comets and strains when pulling my Three Rivers consist.

mlrr

Quote from: Ken S. on July 25, 2010, 01:02:42 AM
Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on July 25, 2010, 12:23:21 AM

That's why I'm thinking about doing it. But, I think the HHP is a poor hauler anyway since it strained pulling 4 Walthers Comets and strains when pulling my Three Rivers consist.

You may have to check the rollability of the cars in your consist.  This has been an issue for me in the past.  Apply conductalube to the axle bearings and make sure that if there are any Walthers-style pickup shoes making contact with the axles that they are not tightly pressed against them.

The HHPs are actually very good haulers.  The latest run actually runs at prototypical speeds under DCC.  the older run not so much.  I have to call the Bachmann parts department to see if they can send replacement circuit boards (I think that's the source of the problem) or perhaps the motor).
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

Ken S.

Quote from: mlrr on August 12, 2010, 08:45:39 AM
You may have to check the rollability of the cars in your consist.  This has been an issue for me in the past.  Apply conductalube to the axle bearings and make sure that if there are any Walthers-style pickup shoes making contact with the axles that they are not tightly pressed against them.

The HHPs are actually very good haulers.  The latest run actually runs at prototypical speeds under DCC.  the older run not so much.  I have to call the Bachmann parts department to see if they can send replacement circuit boards (I think that's the source of the problem) or perhaps the motor).

I have unit 664 which I think is part of the older run. I removed the lighting anyway since it makes a Walthers car mixed in stick out like a sore thumb.

RBMN #425 Fan

and it seams a lot of the strong electric  can't pull a lot. i have 3 GG-1 from the 60's, i have to triple head to pull 10 cars! i also took high speed freight to a new level. i put an acela power car at each end of a 35 car boxcar train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)